These Mashed Potatoes with Sun-Dried Tomatoes really are a show stopper. They always receive RAVE reviews and there are never left overs!
Happy Tuesday everyone and welcome to our Thanksgiving week here at The Slow Roasted Italian. We are sharing a full weeks worth of Thanksgiving recipes this week to give you time to shop and plan.
Today we are featuring our chosen potato dish for Thanksgiving. Mashed Potatoes with Sun-Dried Tomatoes. I have to say I loved these!!! Mr W, not as much. He is a classic, simple man when it comes to food. He prefers my creamy mashed potatoes over any alternative. Em and I really enjoyed these. Mr W ate them, but said he liked the ‘regular ones’ better. These really are a show stopper. These have been served at dinner parties as a side to many beef, pork and chicken dishes.
Do you need real crowd pleasing alternative to mashed potatoes? Try these Red Robin Seasoned Oven Baked Fries.
Recipe adapted from Bon Apetit November 1999
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Mashed Potatoes with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped, not packed in oil; about 2 ounces
- 1 cup packed grated Parmesan cheese, about 3 ounce, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in small bowl. Pour enough hot water over to cover tomatoes; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain. Return tomatoes to bowl; stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan and oil.
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pot. Stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add milk, 3 tablespoons butter, salt, nutmeg and pepper to potatoes.
- Mash until smooth.
- Butter oval 9x6x3 baking dish (or 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish). Spread half of mashed potatoes in prepared dish. Sprinkle sun-dried tomato mixture over (I left 1/3 of dish without tomato mixture for Mr. W). Spread remaining mashed potatoes over.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Dot with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bake potatoes uncovered until heated through and top is golden brown, about 35 minutes (or up to 45 minutes if refrigerated). Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published November 2011
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.