Crockpot beer brats are so easy to make that they’re sure to be on the menu year round! Prep in minutes, cook, and grill just before serving.
Start by slow cooking the meat in a mixture of beer and spices to create the most flavorful juicy sausages you have ever eaten.
Once they are done, toss your crockpot beer brats on the grill just long enough to infuse a smoky, caramelized flavor and top with a healthy serving of savory onions.
And if you can’t get enough of that onion flavor, try this amazing French onion soup topped with cheesy baguette slices.
Slow Cooker Beer Brats – Tips and Tricks
- Use a pale ale. I prefer Blue Moon, but feel free to use your favorite. Just avoid anything with a strong flavor since it will overpower the meat.
- Don’t poke holes! All of the delicious flavor will escape if you do. Since these are cooked in the crockpot, you don’t need to worry about them bursting open.
- Feeding a crowd? Easily double or triple the recipe as long as your crockpot is large enough!
- Cook down the onions. This isn’t necessary, but it can concentrate the flavor and help thicken the liquid.
Leave the slow cooker on high with the lid off, or transfer to a saucepan and simmer on the stove.
These are delicious with all of your favorite cookout sides!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Is there an alcohol free version of this recipe?
There is nothing that can replicate the flavor of the ale, but you could use a low sodium chicken broth instead if you don’t mind them tasting different.
Some readers have also had success with non-alcoholic varieties or a few cans of ginger ale!
How long will slow cooker beer brats last in the refrigerator?
If kept tightly wrapped or in a sealed container, they should keep for up to 4 days.
What can I do with leftover beer brats?
Aside from just reheating and enjoying them the next day, you can chop them up and include them in plenty of other recipes.
Toss some into homemade chili or add a handful to your breakfast eggs. They’re delicious in soups and stews or layered into a grilled cheese sandwich too!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
MORE CROCKPOT RECIPES
Crockpot Beer Brats + Video
- 6 original brats, I used Johnsonville
- 24 ounces beer (I used Blue Moon), 2 12 ounce bottles
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon course black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook for 2 hours on high heat, reduce heat to low. Remove brats from slow cooker. Grill brats (or toss in a skillet) until you have sear marks (which gives you that yummy grilled taste) and place back in slow cooker until ready to serve.
- Serve brats on a bun of your choice. Hoagie roll or big sesame seed buns are my favorite. Top with the crockpot beer onions and your favorite toppings (cheese, ketchup or mustard are our staples).
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2015, updated and republished August 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.