This hearty One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta Recipe has all the great classic chicken fajita flavors combined with creamy pasta in a perfect weeknight meal!
With everyone back to school, we’re all in need of quick and easy weeknight dinners. In our household, pasta is always a great dinner go-to, with adults and kids alike. This chicken fajita pasta is a combination of three things that we love; chicken fajitas, pasta, and one-pot meals!
Hey guys, it’s Amanda from The Chunky Chef. I love being a contributor here on TSRI, and will be here sharing some of my favorite recipes each month! I look forward to bringing some of my midwestern flair and enjoying some treats together.
When it comes to one pot meals, I can’t get enough! There’s something so satisfying about an entire meal cooked in one pot… with no extra pots and pans to wash up after dinner.
Not only is this chicken fajita pasta made entirely in one pot, it’s also incredibly flavorful! It’s creamy and savory, with the great texture from the chicken and fajita vegetables.
Helpful Tips to make One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta:
- Make sure to keep your chicken pieces similar in size. The chicken in this recipe cooks in just a few minutes, so you need to make sure the chicken pieces are all close to the same size so they can fully cook at the same time.
- The heat level (in my opinion) is between a mild and medium, however you can make it spicier by using hot diced tomatoes and green chiles, or by substituting jalapeño for the green bell pepper. You can make it milder by using plain diced tomatoes instead of the diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- There is no cheese in this recipe, however if you are a cheese lover, feel free to add in a handful of your favorite cheese when you add back in the chicken and peppers.
What you will need to make One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta:
- Dutch oven – I love the size of this pot.. it’s perfect for this recipe and it holds the heat really well.
- Fajita seasoning – this the brand I love.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Other One-Pot Recipes
Chicken Fajita Pasta (One Pot Recipe!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 – 1″ pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons fajita seasoning, taco seasoning works as well
- 1 large yellow or red onion, diced
- 2-3 bell peppers, any variety, sliced into thin 1″ long strips
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, I used Rotel brand
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta, or other short cut pasta
- pinch of salt and black pepper, to taste
- lime wedges, for garnish
- diced green onions, for garnish
- minced fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to dutch oven or 12″ skillet and heat over MED HIGH heat. Add chicken, sprinkle with half of the fajita seasoning and cook about 2 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over (or give it a good stir) and cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to dutch oven and add in onions and peppers and remaining fajita seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes, until softened and slightly charred. Add garlic, stir, and cook about 30 seconds, then remove vegetable mixture to the plate with the chicken and set aside.
- Pour in chicken stock, heavy cream, diced tomatoes and chiles, pasta, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Use a wooden spoon to carefully loosen the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low boil (usually about a MED LOW heat should work), cover, and cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, most of the cooking liquid should be absorbed. If it’s not, cook another 3-5 minutes. Return the chicken and vegetables to the pot and stir to heat through.
- Serve garnished with diced green onions and minced fresh parsley or cilantro and with a squeeze of a lime wedge.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.