Hot chocolate bombs are filled with hot cocoa, marshmallows, and Fireball whisky for a boozy twist. Try these easy hot cocoa bombs today.
Add a ball of fabulous chocolate to your mug and fill it with steaming milk and watch the chocolate sphere dissolve to make the most delicious boozy hot cocoa you’ve ever tried.
How to make hot chocolate bombs
Follow these simple steps to make my favorite boozy hot chocolate using hot cocoa bombs.
- Melt the chocolate in your microwave until it’s smooth.
- Using a spoon or paintbrush, add the melted chocolate to coat the mold.
- Let them harden and remove them from the mold.
- Carefully melt the edges of one half of the ball. Quickly add the hot cocoa, whiskey, and marshmallows.
- Melt the edge of the other chocolate sphere and quickly press the two halves together.
- Place then in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to harden.
- Remove them and drizzle melted chocolate over the top and dust with crushed red hot candies.
Frequently asked questions
What type of chocolate should I use for hot chocolate bombs?
It’s important that you use good quality milk chocolate. Dark chocolate won’t work for this type of recipe because the fat content isn’t high enough for smooth melting.
The best type of milk chocolate to use is one that is labeled 65% cocoa or more. It’s important that it contains cocoa butter.
Should I use the same chocolate for the drizzle?
You can use the same milk chocolate for the drizzle on top of your finished hot chocolate bombs. Or, if you want a slightly different look, you can also melt white chocolate and use that instead.
Either one will look great with the bright red crushed red hot candies. Or, why not make a few of each style.
How can I wrap these for gifts?
These are a wonderful gift idea! All you need to do is to wrap them carefully in a cellophane bag and tie it with a ribbon. Then place one in a coffee mug and give them as gifts.
How do I use hot chocolate bombs?
Once these have hardened, it’s time to enjoy them in a cup of boozy hot chocolate. You will need about 14 ounces of milk for each cup.
- You will want to warm the milk to use these. So, you can either do that in the microwave, in a milk steamer, or in a small pot on the stove.
- Place your hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of your mug. Then slowly pour the hot, steamed milk over the top.
- As the chocolate that holds the two halves together melts, the hot cocoa, marshmallows, and Fireball whiskey are released in the milk.
- Use a spoon to stir everything up well. Then, top your beverage with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate, and a few more red hot candies.
More hot chocolate recipes
Hot cocoa krispies treats have marshmallows and melted chocolate on top for an extra decadent dessert.
This easy fudge recipe makes a cozy treat that tastes like hot cocoa with marshmallows! Make some for yourself or to give as holiday gifts.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are rich, chocolaty, and delicious with a glorious marshmallow buttercream on top!
Check out our Italian hot chocolate for an easy, sure to warm you up treat!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
See our recipe video at the top of this page for step by step instructions.
Fireball Hot Chocolate Bombs + Video
- 12 Ounces milk chocolate melting chocolate Chips or Almond Bark
- 2 packets of Hot Cocoa Mix , about 1 heaping tablespoon in each Cocoa bomb
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows, about 5 to each Cocoa Bomb
- 6 cups Hot Milk
- 1/2 cup red hots
- 6 shots of fireball whiskey
- Place the Chocolate in a Microwave safe bowl, and melt until smooth and creamy. Next, spoon chocolate into the molds, making sure to coat the inside of the molds.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator, and let harden for 15 minutes. Remove molds from the refrigerator, and carefully remove chocolate from molds. Gather hot cocoa mix, whiskey and marshmallows, set aside.
- Heat a small skillet on the stove, then remove from heat, and place it next to the hot chocolate assembly station.
- Place one half ball with the open side down, melting just the edges for a few seconds, remove, and fill the ball with the powdered cocoa, whiskey, and mini marshmallows.
- Place the other half of the Chocolate ball on the hot skillet with the open side down, and melt just the edges of the ball.
- Remove from the skillet, and immediately place on one of the chocolate balls, filled with the cocoa, etc., making the top of the ball/bomb.
- Hold in place a few seconds to make sure the top and bottom are melted together.
- When all the Cocoa Bombs have been filled, and melted together, place them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, until chocolate is completely set. Remove from the Refrigerator and sit aside.
- Melt leftover chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave at 15 second intervals until the chocolate melts.
- Place the melted chocolate in a pastry bag, set aside. Next, pipe the chocolate over the Cocoa Bombs and sprinkle with crushed red hots.
- Heat milk and place one Hot Cocoa Bomb in the bottom of a mug, and pour heated milk over the top.
- Cocoa Bomb will melt and bubble, and marshmallows will float to the top. Top with whipped cream, drizzle chocolate, and add a few more red hots.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.