Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are rich, chocolaty and delicious with a glorious marshmallow buttercream on top! It is the perfect recipe to warm you up this winter! Ooey and gooey with every ‘hot chocolate’ bite!
Some would say that there is nothing more delicious than a cupcake. Well now that it has cooled off how about adding a little warmth to your sweet tooth. These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are an utterly tasty treat that you won’t want to miss.
Hey guy’s its Alli from Tornadough Alli! This is my second recipe for Donna and Chad and I can’t wait to share these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with you! A delicious chocolate cake is baked up and stuffed with a whole marshmallow. It’s then frosted with a marshmallow buttercream and topped with some chocolate sprinkles.
Now if you love more marshmallow in your hot chocolate then the drink itself (I’m guilty) then these cupcakes are for you! The warm cupcake melts the marshmallow stuffed inside making it ooey and gooey with each and every bite! If you want a delicious chocolate frosting instead, try this fluffy buttercream.
HELPFUL TIPS TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
- Spray your cupcake liners. This helps not having to have any cake stuck to the liner when pulling them off.
- I like to use the large marshmallows but you can use multiple small ones if you have that on hand!
- Cut center out of cupcakes right out of the oven, this helps the marshmallow melt slightly inside, if you don’t want to handle them hot then place the cupcakes back into the oven for a few minutes after you’ve inserted the marshmallow to let it melt slightly.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
- 12 Count Cupcake Pan, I like the 12 count cupcake pan because usually it’s enough to make one batch of cupcakes.
- Cupcake liners, we buy a mixed colored stacked batch of liners from the store, gives us lots of different choices for colors based on what cupcakes we make.
- Hand mixer or stand mixer, these are essential in properly incorporating ingredients when baking, I highly recommend one or both.
- Cupcake corer, these come in handy and you can purchase a corer/scoop which is one tool made by Wilton and other various companies for a few dollars online.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
More Amazing Cupcake Recipes
Boozy Margarita Cupcakes
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 7 ounce container marshmallow creme
- Chocolate sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 count cupcake pan with liners and spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Add in your eggs, both sugars, oil, vanilla and milk and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner half full with batter and bake for about 20 minutes or until top springs back and toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately remove the center of each cupcake (using the cupcake corer or a spoon or melon baller) and press the center down slightly.
- Stuff with marshmallows and let sit until cooled. The marshmallows should melt slightly, if you choose to let cupcakes cool before your stuff then return to heated oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make your frosting in large bowl beat your butter until smooth and fluffy. Add in your extract and continue to beat until blended.Add in your powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, lastly add in your marshmallow cream and beat until incorporated.
- Place frosting in piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe swirls on top of your cupcakes. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.