Hot cocoa krispies treats have marshmallows and melted chocolate on top for an extra decadent dessert. Make this recipe in just 20 minutes!
Recipes like Hot Cocoa Krispies Treats
All you need are chocolate chips and a few packets of your favorite drink mix for a fun twist on the classic rice krispies treats recipe. Or try these rice krispies treats made with nutella.
For more warm cocoa flavor, try my Hot Chocolate Cupcakes, with melted marshmallows in the center and fluffy marshmallow buttercream on top!
Hot Cocoa Fudge makes a cozy treat that tastes like hot cocoa with marshmallows!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies are rich and fudgy, with a little extra kick from cinnamon and cayenne powder. Plus, the browned butter frosting puts them right over the top.
If it’s too warm for a cozy warm drink, try Frozen Hot Chocolate instead! You can still use your favorite cocoa mix, and it’s richer than a regular milkshake.
How To Make Hot Cocoa Krispies Treats
The process is very similar to a regular rice krispies treat recipe but with a few extra steps.
Melt together the butter and marshmallows on the stove, then mix in the packets of cocoa until well combined.
Stir in the rice cereal, press firmly into a greased baking dish, and sprinkle more marshmallows over the top.
Finally, melt the chocolate in the microwave or with a double boiler and drizzle all over the treats.
You can also add sprinkles and sanding sugar to make them look extra sparkly and festive.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Avoid rock hard treats. The key to success is not to overcook the marshmallows! Turn off the stove just before they are fully melted, then continue to stir while the residual heat smooths out the last of the clumps.
- Use salted butter. Not only does it balance the sweetness of the dessert, but it enhances the flavors as well. Don’t just sprinkle in some salt, though, or that’s all you will taste when you take a bite.
- Chill to set. If you’re short on time, pop the pan into the refrigerator to cool the dessert quickly before slicing.
- Need a larger batch? You can easily double the recipe and divide it between two pans, as long as your pot is large enough to hold everything. Or, reduce the recipe for a small pan all to yourself!
- Tip for drizzling chocolate: Use a bowl with a spout to melt the chocolate so you can just pour from that. Or, transfer to a thick ziploc bag and snip off the corner. You may want to double bag the chocolate since it will be hot to the touch.
What You’ll Need For This Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- Large Saucepan – Choose a heavy-bottomed one so the heat is distributed more evenly.
- 9×13 Baking Dish – This set is one of my favorites! The 9×13 is perfect for casseroles and the smaller size is awesome for making half a casserole recipe.
- Microwave-Safe Bowl – Not only does it make melting chocolate easier, but you can use it to quickly steam vegetables too!
- Silicone Spatula – Withstands heat well and won’t stick to the chocolate rice krispies treats.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
How do I store chocolate rice krispies treats?
These will be fine at room temperature for 3-5 days. Keep them in a sealed, airtight container so they stay soft and chewy.
Or, freeze individual slices between layers of wax paper in a storage bag or freezer-safe container. Thaw on the counter until softened before serving.
Can I eat these warm or cold?
We love these treats at room temperature since they’re a little hard straight out of the refrigerator.
However, don’t try to cut into them while they are still warm or you’ll have a melted marshmallow mess!
Chill before slicing, then let them sit out on the counter for a few minutes before taking a bite.
Where can I find chocolate melting wafers?
If you don’t see them with the regular baking supplies, try checking the cake decorating aisle. They typically come in plastic bags and look like round discs about the size of a quarter.
Or, replace the melting chocolate with white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips instead. Almond bark would also make a great substitute for the white chocolate wafers.
Hot Cocoa Krispies Treats
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 4.14 ounces hot cocoa, 3 1.38-ounce packets
- 6 cups Rice Krispies, or other toasted rice cereal
- 1 cup chocolate melting wafers or chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate melting wafers or white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles, optional
- 1 tablespoon glitter sugar, optional
- In a large pot or saucepan, melt the butter
- Once the butter has melted, add the mini marshmallows, saving 1 cup to use as toppings
- Stir continuously until the marshmallows have melted
- Add the hot chocolate and stir to combine
- Turn off the heat and add the Rice Krispies, stirring quickly to fully coat the Rice Krispies in the hot cocoa marshmallows
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 baking pan
- Using a spatula, or spoon, also greased, press the Rice Krispies treats down into the pan
- Top with remaining mini marshmallows
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate wafers at 10-15 second intervals, stopping to stir in between until they are completely melted
- Drizzle over the marshmallows and the Rice Krispies treats
- Follow the same steps for melting and drizzling the white chocolate wafers
- If desired, add chocolate sprinkles and glitter sugar for a fun wintery touch
- Place in the fridge for an hour to cool and set
- Using a sharp knife, slice the Rice Krispies treats into squares or bars
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2020
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.