Creamsicle Jello shots combine childhood nostalgia with adult-level fun! Enjoy the delicious pairing of oranges and cream in one boozy bite.
Most recipes use orange-flavored gelatin and vodka, but I found that a combination of melted sherbert and RumChata perfectly captures the flavor of the popular ice cream bar.
For a more sophisticated option, try this creamy raspberry orange cocktail instead. Easily scale it up or down depending on the number of guests you will be serving.
How To Make Creamsicle Jello Shots
Give yourself plenty of time to put these together. It will take about 30 minutes to prepare the mixture and another 3 hours for them to fully set.
Otherwise, the process is fairly simple! When you’re ready to serve, top with a swirl of whipped cream and enjoy.
- Melt the sherbert.
- Dissolve the gelatin.
- Mix everything together.
- Pour into cups and chill.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Making a large batch? Use the plastic cups that come with a lid like the kind used for takeout condiments. That way you can stack them for easier storage, then toss them into a large bowl when it’s party time!
- Tip for chilling: Place the cups on a baking sheet before filling them. Then you can pop the whole tray in the freezer and easily transfer them to the refrigerator in seconds.
- Add some fruit! Create some texture and stretch the liquid into more servings with a can of mandarin oranges. Just drop a slice into the bottom of each cup before pouring in the creamsicle Jello shot mixture.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
How far in advance should I make creamsicle Jello shots?
These take about 3 hours to fully set, plus additional time to prepare the mixture. I recommend starting the morning of your event or make them the day before to be safe.
These will last for 7 to 10 days if kept chilled or in the refrigerator, so feel free to prepare them further in advance if needed.
How much alcohol is in each one?
This recipe contains a total of 8 ounces of liqueur, which works out to about ½ an ounce per shot.
Compared to straight vodka or rum, RumChata is only around 15% alcohol by volume. While that means this treat is still “adults-only,” it would be pretty difficult to get buzzed or drunk from it.
How long does a creamsicle Jello shot last out of the fridge?
After about 45 minutes, they will start to soften and melt. If you need them to be available for a longer period of time, place them in a bowl with ice so they stay chilled.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Creamsicle Jello Shots
- 2 scoops orange sherbet, melted
- 1 package gelatin
- 1 cup rum chata
- 1 cup water
- Begin by placing 2 scoops of orange sherbert in a bowl and set aside to melt.
- In a medium saucepan add one cup of water and open the gelatin package and pour into water. Let stand 2 minutes then bring to a boil and remove from heat, gelatin should be dissolved. Set aside and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add one cup of rum chata to melted sherbet and stir.
- Next pour gelatin into sherbet mixture and stir.
- Fill shot cups and place in the freezer for 2 hours, remove and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published June 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.