Taco Bell Mexican pizza is one of the most popular items on their menu. Recreate it at home and feed the whole family for a fraction of the cost!
Instead of ordering another Mexican pizza from Taco Bell for dinner, try this homemade version made with loads of fresh ingredients.
Plus, you can double the recipe to feed a crowd, and everyone can customize their own exactly how they like.
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
Making our Taco Bell pizza recipe is really simple!
- Cook the ground beef.
First, brown and season the ground beef and transfer it to a separate bowl.
- Fry the tortillas.
Clean out the skillet, then heat up the oil and fry the tortillas.
- Layer with beans and beef.
Transfer them to a baking sheet in a single layer and top with refried beans and meat.
- Top with a tortilla, enchilada sauce, and shredded cheese.
Stack each round with another fried tortilla. Spread enchilada sauce evenly to the edges and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake and garnish with Mexican pizza toppings.
Bake at 400°F until the cheese melts, then add your toppings and slice!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Easy meal prep.
Make a big batch of seasoned ground beef when you have the time, then thaw a one pound portion to use for this recipe.
- Tip for easier spreading:
Warm the refried beans in the microwave to soften them up, or mix with a little salsa or enchilada sauce to thin them out.
- Use different cheeses.
Pepper Jack will add extra heat, while a blend of cheddar, mozzarella, and Monterey Jack gets you closest to the real thing.
- Tortillas puffing up too much?
This is totally normal as they fry, but you can press them down a bit on the baking sheet to make them more level.
- Don’t forget the hot sauce!
Dig through your hidden stash of Taco Bell sauce packets, or grab a bottle from your favorite brand of hot sauce.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Medium Skillet – This is my go-to pan that I’ve had for over a decade!
- Candy Thermometer – Gives you an accurate reading on the oil so you know when it’s hot enough to fry.
- Baking Sheets – Used for anything from cookies to roasting, a good baking pan will last for years.
- Box Grater – As much as I love buying bagged shreds because it’s easier, freshly grated cheese melts down smoother and tastes better too.
Love Our Recipes??
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza FAQ
Taco Bell pizza is best eaten while it’s crisp and melty, right from the oven. This is ly because the tortillas soak up the other ingredients the longer they sit.
Reheating the pizzas isn’t recommended but if you absolutely have to, reheat them on a sheet pan in a 350°F oven.
A better option is, prepare the meat and toppings ahead of time, and store them in individual containers in the fridge. Then, fry the flour tortillas right before assembling and make the dish according to the recipe instructions.
What else can I add to this copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza?
It’s easy to personalize your plate with whatever amount of meat, beans, sauce, and cheese that you like.
Or, create a vegetarian version with plant based crumbles or extra veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, lettuce, and red onion.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Popular Taco Bell Recipes
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- In a medium skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat, using a spatula or wooden spoon to chop meat into very small pieces.
- Add taco seasoning and water; stir and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.Transfer meat to a bowl and keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Clean the skillet and fill with 1/2-inch of frying oil. Heat over medium high heat until oil reaches 350°F. Meanwhile, heat refried beans and enchilada sauce in the microwave.
- Gently drop one flour tortilla into the hot oil, frying on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until it bubbles up and becomes golden brown.Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Place a fried tortilla on a baking sheet. Spread 1/4 cup of refried beans over the tortilla, then spread 1/4 cup of the meat over the refried beans.
- Place a second tortilla on top of the meat. Spoon 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce (or desired amount) over the top of the stacked tortilla and top with cheese (1/4 cup or desired amount).
- Assemble as many pizzas as will fit on the baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove pan with pizzas from the oven.
- Sprinkle pizza tops with tomatoes and any other toppings you’d like. Cut into fourths and serve immediately.
- Taco Bell pizza is best eaten while it’s crisp and melty, right from the oven. This is ly because the tortillas soak up the other ingredients the longer they sit. Reheating the pizzas isn’t recommended but if you absolutely have to, reheat them on a sheet pan in a 350°F oven.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.