Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes, a beautiful torted moist cake with a thick layer of vanilla custard, topped off with a chocolate ganache and a maraschino cherry.
Breathtaking, isn’t it? Boston Cream Pie is quite the classic favorite. A beautiful torted moist cake with a thick layer of the most delicious vanilla custard, topped off with a fabulous chocolate ganache and a maraschino cherry. All that in a cupcake… it is just life changing (at least for the moment).
This vanilla custard is so good you will have to hide the bowl. Really, behind the veggies is a good place. I stick mine in the crisper drawer, seriously Chad (meat and potatoes man) is never going to look in there. Munchkin is too little still. That is actually a great place to hide small Christmas presents too! Ok, yes I have. shhhh!
Really, get the recipe for the cupcake!!! It is unbelievable in its entirety. Make a double batch of the vanilla custard and enjoy… with a spoon in the middle of the night when no one is watching. So, you can truly savor ever moment. Trust me it is Ahhhhh Mazing!!! Complete with time saving tips…
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Other Easy Dessert Recipes
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 recipe for vanilla custard filling, recipe to follow
- 1 recipe for chocolate ganache, recipe to follow
Vanilla custard filling
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk the ingredients until well combined.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill the muffin tin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the muffin pan before turning out to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each cupcake in half horizontally. Spread 1 tablespoon of custard filling on each cupcake bottom. Sandwich with top. Spoon the ganache over each, and serve immediately.
Vanilla custard filling
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add the milk and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk occasionally until the mixture thickens. About 3-4 minutes.
- Pour a ladle full of the milk mixture over the eggs yolks and whisk thoroughly. Pour the egg mixture back into saucepan. Whisk to combine and cook another minute.
- Custard will thicken as it cools, but it should not be runny at this point. Add the vanilla, stir one last time and remove from the heat to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- This recipe doubles perfectly and you can use 2 percent milk.
- Place the chocolate in a medium-sized, heat safe bowl. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, bring the cream to a boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and gently stir until you have a smooth mixture. Allow to cool at room temperature.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.