This one pot spaghetti recipe combines seasoned beef and mushrooms in a simple tomato sauce. Make it for dinner tonight in only 30 minutes!
One Pot Spaghetti Recipe
Cooking everything in the same pan means less time in the kitchen and fewer dishes to clean.
If you’re tired of Italian, this cheesy taco spaghetti tastes just like your favorite tacos and can be customized with a variety of toppings.
My One Pot Greek Chicken is rich and creamy with bright Mediterranean flavors.
Want something a little spicier? I have a Mexican version made with hot sausage links and sliced jalapenos that you’re sure to love.
- Ground meat – Save time by using precooked beef or try a leaner option such as ground chicken or turkey.
- Seasoning – I used thyme, basil, and parsley as a trio of Italian spices, but feel free to adjust these to your liking.
- Vegetables – Keep things simple with mushrooms and onion or add some chopped zucchini with the noodles. Greens like spinach can be stirred in just before serving, and shredded carrots can help balance the acidity from the tomatoes.
- Sauce – Create a simple homemade sauce with tomato paste, canned tomatoes (crushed or whole), and a blend of water and broth for flavor.
- Pasta – If you aren’t a fan of spaghetti, replace it with fettuccine, rotini, or penne. Adjust the cooking time as needed depending on which kind you use.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Storage and Reheating
Keep leftovers refrigerated in a sealed container for 3 to 4 days. Warm in the microwave or on the stove, adding a splash of broth as needed for moisture.
You can also freeze this meal for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool before transferring to freezer-safe storage bags. Then, place the bag in simmering water until warmed through.
Or, use a disposable foil pan so you can pop it right in the oven when you’re ready to eat.
How to Make the Best One Pot Spaghetti
- Season your water. When making pasta by itself, you need enough salt for your water to taste like the ocean. For this recipe, that is remedied by replacing half of the liquid with chicken or beef broth instead.
- Keep it boiling. The temperature will drop at first, so be sure to bring it back to a boil as quickly as you can. Covering with a lid can help. If the temperature isn’t hot enough, it will take longer for the pasta to cook and the texture won’t be consistent.
- Stir noodles occasionally. Not only will it prevent them from sticking to each other or the bottom of the pan, but it allows you to keep everything submerged in the liquid.
- Tip for testing doneness: Spoon out a strand and eat it! For al dente, it should still be a little firm, but you can cook it until it is softer if you prefer.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Best One Pot Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 15 oz can tomatoes with juice, 1 can
- 2 cups chicken broth, can use beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- In your pot place ground beef and cook on medium heat until it is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Once cooked, drain any fat.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the pot. Let cook for 2 -3 minutes until softened. Now add in the chopped herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir generously and let the herbs toast slightly. This will enhance their flavor.
- Add in tomato paste and diced tomatoes, stirring again. Add in the chicken stock and water. Stir and bring it to a boil.
- Add in your pasta and cook according to package instructions. Once cooked, serve with more herbs as garnish and garlic bread. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.