Crock pot mashed potatoes are rich, creamy, and full of flavor. Prep everything in minutes, then let your slow cooker do the work for you!
This decadent side dish is fit for any special occasion, yet simple enough to make any night of the week.
Whether you are preparing a feast and could use the extra space on the stove or you’re bringing a dish to a potluck-style dinner, this recipe is absolutely perfect.
How To Make Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
Once you try this recipe, you’ll never want to go back to the stovetop method again!
- Wash a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes and chop them into small pieces, about ½-inch in width.
- Rub the inside of the crockpot with a softened stick of butter, leaving any that’s left in the bottom.
- Add the spuds and cook until fork tender – about 3 hours on High or 5 to 6 hours on Low.
- Uncover and pour in the milk and cream. Mash until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients until cream cheese is fully melted and incorporated.
Tips and Tricks
- Rinse after chopping. This removes excess starch which can cause your finished dish to feel gummy. Run cold water over the pieces, then drain well before pouring them into the crockpot.
- Don’t overmix! Otherwise, the texture will end up like glue. Stir just until everything is incorporated and evenly distributed.
- Time-saving tip: You can keep slow cooker mashed potatoes on Warm throughout the day. Give them a good stir every so often and add more milk as needed for moisture.
- Like yours extra fluffy? Whip them with an electric mixer at half power for about 2 minutes. Stir, scrape down the sides, then mix again for another minute.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I make crock pot mashed potatoes the day before?
You sure can! Prepare the recipe as directed, then cover and transfer to the refrigerator overnight.
Transfer them back to the crockpot 2 to 4 hours before you plan on serving. Stir in ½ cup of milk and cook on low, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Do you need to peel Yukon Golds?
You can if you prefer, but the skins are so thin you shouldn’t be able to notice the difference. Plus, peel adds extra buttery flavor to the overall dish.
How many do these slow cooker mashed potatotes serve?
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings, plenty for any holiday crowd. Feel free to reduce the recipe by half if needed, or use leftover in this cheesy chili casserole!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes + Video
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, softened
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Butter inside of crock with butter and leave remaining butter on the bottom of the dish. Add potatoes and cover. Cook on high 3 hours or 5-6 hours on low.
- Remove cover, once potatoes are fork tender (meaning they break apart when you put a fork into a potato), add milk and cream. Mash with potato masher until desired consistency is reached. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2014, updated and republished October 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.