Frozen Hot Chocolate
Ever find yourself in the mood for something warm and comforting in the midst of summer? Well, it doesn’t happen often. But that is what I was longing for today, a rich delicious cup of decadent hot chocolate with fresh whipped cream on top. As it is merely 105°, I decided a Frrrozen Hot Chocolate like they make at Serendipity 3 in NYC would be fabulous.
It is simple and fantastical all at the same time. The recipe is the easy part, however the quality of the ingredients will determine the quality of the end result. No doubt Serendipity 3 is using a mixture of fine chocolates and they get a result well worth the $8.50 a cup.
I lean toward a few different brands of chocolate Ghirardelli (anything but white), Pernigotti (unsweetened cocoa powder), Nestle (white chocolate and semi-sweet for chocolate chip cookies) and a few other brands. Use what you think will give you the best result in your price range.
I have to say that this was a huge treat for Em, I put a little bit in her Winnie the Pooh cup with the crazy straw and she went wild for it. She drank it so fast, I thought for sure she would have brain freeze. Although she is certainly not deprived of sweets, she doesn’t indulge in things this sweet very often. Actually the last time was when we went to the Cheesecake Factory for National Cheesecake Day. We took a slice of the new Hershey Chocolate Bar Cheesecake home with us. Mr. W, Em and I shared it. Good heavens this cheesecake was so incredible, I could live on it. I actually liked it better than the Tiramisu Cheesecake.
So anyway, the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate is amazing. It is cool, refreshing and as comforting as a decadent cup of hot chocolate in the winter. It is a must try! I know you will enjoy, we did!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- 6 pieces 1/2-ounce chocolate, a variety of your favorites
- 2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups ice
- whipped cream, I used fresh whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings, I used Ghiradelli bittersweet and shaved with vegetable peeler
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar.
- Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of milk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the room-temperature chocolate mixture and the ice.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Serve immediately!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published Aug 17, 2011
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.