Chocolate Chip Mug Cake + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake is better than a warm chocolate chip cookie straight from the oven! With 5 ingredients and 6 minutes, make my easy cookie mug cake recipe.
A mug cake is a wonderful way to treat yourself to a decadent dessert. Have you had a chance to try my Oreo mug cake yet? You won’t want to miss it!
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
There are days when you just deserve a cookie. And, if you want to be able to enjoy your favorite treat without a lot of work, making a cookie mug cake is the answer!
If you haven’t yet tried making a mug cake in the microwave, you really need to. There is no easier way to have a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie in less than a minute.
One of the hardest parts of making homemade cookies is resisting the urge to eat a dozen of them in one sitting.
That’s not a problem when you make this Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake.
I decided to test my Oreo Mug Cake recipe with Chips Ahoy instead, and with a few adjustments — it works!
Just 5 ingredients and a few minutes stand between you and this perfectly cakey chocolate chip cookie dessert!
How to Make Mug Cake Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blend the chocolate chip cookies in a food processor until they are crumbs.
- Then, combine them with milk, sugar, baking powder, and mini chocolate chips in your microwave-safe mug.
- Cook in the microwave for one minute.
- Let it cool and enjoy!
Different Flavors of Mug Cakes
Of course, I love this chocolate chip mug cake recipe. But, there are a lot of different types of cookie mug cake flavors you can make!
Why new try a few of these:
- Peanut Butter
- Mint Chocolate Chip
As long as you stick with the classic variety of cookies, you should have good results.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake Recipe Tips
- Use classic, crunchy cookies. Be sure to grab the original Chips Ahoy (or similar) and not the Chewy variety.
- Don’t skip the sugar! I found that the chocolate chip cookies by themselves really lacked sweetness and were kind of bland.
The addition of sugar made all the difference. We really liked the extra chocolate chips in the chocolate chip mug cake, since the ones in the cookies get sort of ground up.
- Add a topping. Top with whipped cream, ice cream, cookie crumbs, powdered sugar, and more.
- Substitute carefully. 4 Chips Ahoy cookies equal 1.6 ounces — this should help in case you use a different brand.
- Save time! The prep time is mostly just processing the cookies. If you have quick access to a food processor, this really is a 5 minute dessert.
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Recipe FAQ
I used classic Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies when I made this easy chocolate chip mug cake. Don’t get the chewy kind — it won’t turn out right if you do.
Yes, in addition to using a different type of cookie, you can use different chocolate chips in your chocolate chip cookie mug cake.
Why not try mint chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or peanut butter chips? Mix and match the cookie flavors and the chip flavors for a new dessert every night.
Mug cake chocolate chip desserts are really best enjoyed straight from the microwave while they are still warm and gooey. If you don’t have time to eat it right away, try making it later.
To save time, you can process the cookies in your food processor ahead of time. Then, store them in an airtight container until you want to make this chocolate chip mug cake recipe!
More chocolate chip recipes
The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie is incredibly rich, perfectly chewy, and crisp around the edges. What more could you ask for in the perfect chocolate chip cookie?
Simple 5 Minute Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip is a fab quick dessert recipe. Looking for a snack during prime time TV?
This is sure to be ready before the commercial break ends.
Mint Chocolate Chip Fudgy Brownies are loaded with chocolate mint candies and topped with a mint chocolate chip frosting that will rock your world.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Easy Cakes
Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug + Video
- 4 Chips Ahoy cookies, or similar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mini chocolate chips
- In a food processor, blend the cookies until fine crumbs form.
- In a 6 to 8 ounce microwave safe mug or small prep bowl, combine the crushed cookies, milk, sugar and baking powder. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cook in the microwave for 1 minute, then add an additional 10 seconds if needed.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes, top with ice cream or whipped cream, and enjoy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021. updated and republished April 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
is vanilla extract crucially needed for the recipe?
I have this every evening while watching TV lol IT has become my favorite dessert and wow it is so easy to make.