Baked Potato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Baked Potato Soup is rich and creamy and has all your favorite potato fixin’s cooked right inside this luscious soup. It comes fully loaded with cheese, bacon, and sour cream! This dinner is utterly life changing. This simple recipe is incredibly popular and you are going to love it!
This potato soup is so rich and creamy. Loaded with cheese, bacon and sour cream it is utterly life changing. This recipe is incredibly popular and you are going to love it!
Soup season is finally here. I cannot tell you how excited I am to see the temperatures fall below 100. I hear we will also see lows of 60’s all week, which is pretty incredible for this time of year in Arizona. What I usually do is turn the air up and put on a sweater so I can pretend it’s cold. Then I make soup. Lots and lots of scrumptious soup.
Baked Potato Soup
Baked Potato Soup is an old family favorite. I have made several different versions and today I am sharing a stovetop method using baked potatoes and all my favorite baked potato fixings.
Of course, this is an excellent soup to use leftover mashed potatoes too. You know, Thanksgiving comes, and we make 20 pounds of mashed potatoes and have a truckload left over. This recipe is the ultimate leftover soup! Check out ‘Donna’s Notes’ below the recipe for details on using leftover mashed potatoes.
This amazing recipe all starts with a pound of bacon, cooked and removed from the pot. Then the entire soup is built on the bacon drippings. Needless to say, it is glorious!
- Half and half is a dairy product found in the US. It is made up of half cream and half milk. You can substitute accordingly or substitute with one of the other. All cream will make the soup richer, and all milk will make it lighter.
- You can substitute 5-6 cups of smashed/mashed potatoes for the five baked potatoes.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Favorite Soup Recipes
Bacon Beer Cheese Soup with Chicken
Baked Potato Soup
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 5 Russet potatoes, baked, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 cups half & half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Cook the onion in the bacon drippings until translucent; sprinkle in flour, stir and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in chicken stock. Simmer the soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly. Add in the smashed potatoes and bacon; Stir to combine.
- Stir in parsley and half & half, then cook for 10 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with optional sour cream and shredded cheese. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.
It says serves 8
I made this soup tonight. It was wonderful. It's important to note (because some people may not realize it) that when you add the sour cream, it is best to scoop some of the soup out of pot (about one cup) into a bowl and use a whisk to slowly add the sour cream to the soup. If you don't do this one step, your sour cream may curdle when putting it into the hot liquid. A trick I learned from my Granny. Also, I didn't put the skins in the soup, but didn't throw them out. I stacked them and wrapped them up in foil, put them in the freezer. We like potator skins. At a later date, I will defrost them, put some cooked, diced potatoes in them and we will have another meal!!!!!
Potato soup is one of my favorites.
I'll be trying this now that the cooler weather is rolling in this weekend. It sounds amazingly good.
Just made this soup, added 1 cup of shredded sharp cheese and 3/4c of crispy bacon, my husband had 2 bowls it was that good.
The picture of the soups looks really good & i would love to try it but unfortunately when i click on "recipe" it takes me to an "e-bay buying guide" page with no recipe, so sadly i will not be trying your recipe
Hi Colleen! We are working on updating links. Sorry for the inconvenience, the recipe is now posted above. Have a great day!
The best potato soup ever!!! Thank you for sharing! Dang 👍👍
This potato soup is the best I have ever had!