Chipotle Steak Copycat Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chipotle steak can be made at home for a fraction of the cost, you’ll have plenty of leftovers too! Try this copycat Chipotle recipe for dinner tonight!
Chipotle Steak Copycat
It only takes about an hour to infuse the beef with loads of flavor before tossing it on the grill. The marinade comes together with just a handful of ingredients and is the perfect balance of tart and spicy. It even tastes great on chicken!
Pair this copycat Chipotle steak recipe with other popular menu items like chunky guacamole, and roasted corn salsa.
I have homemade versions of their barbacoa and pork carnitas as well. When it’s this easy to recreate your favorites at home, you’ll never want to pay takeout prices again!
- Adjust the spice level. This has a good kick to it, so use fewer peppers or marinate for less time for milder flavor. You can also wipe off the marinade before grilling so it isn’t as spicy.
- Want it even spicier? Add more chipotles, some cayenne powder, or crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Preheat the grill. For best results, give it plenty of time to get nice and hot. Since skirt steak doesn’t take long to cook, it’s best to get the outside seared quickly to lock in the flavor without drying out the center.
- Use up leftover chiles. Create a delicious spicy ranch dipping sauce with extra peppers and adobo sauce! It’s a perfect match for these copycat Cheesecake Factory avocado egg rolls.
Enjoy this copycat Chipotle steak in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and bowls just like your favorite takeout. It’s also delicious on salads or chopped up and sprinkled over nachos.
In fact, you can set up a bar with all of the different ingredients and toppings so family members or guests can create their own combinations!
Chipotle Steak FAQ
What is the best cut of meat for this Chipotle steak recipe?
According to their website, the restaurant uses a wide variety of cuts in their kitchen. Stick with tender, affordable cuts when preparing this recipe at home. I like to use skirt steak, but flank or top sirloin are great alternatives.
How do you know when steak is done?
The easiest way to test for doneness is with a digital meat thermometer. Insert the probe into the very center through the side for the most accurate reading.
When you order from the restaurant, the beef is cooked to at least Medium (145°F) for food safety. If you want yours more rare or well done, you can find more information on times and temps in this post.
What’s the difference between carne asada and Chipotle steak?
Not only are the marinade ingredients a bit different, but carne asada is often marinated for a much longer period of time. The meat is also cooked low and slow instead of quickly over high heat, resulting in extra tender bites.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
MORE COPYCAT RECIPES
Outback Copycat Alice Springs Chicken
Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits
Chipotle Steak Recipe
- 1/2 – 7 ounce can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- juice of 2 limes, about 1/4 cup
- 3 pounds skirt steak, flank steak or top sirloin can also be used
- olive oil, for brushing grills
- Combine chipotles, spices, red onion, garlic, and lime juice (all ingredients except for the steak and olive oil) in the bowl of a food processor or blender. The chipotles add a lot of spice, so use more or less to adjust the spice level.
- Pulse until a paste forms.
- Combine steak and marinade in a bowl or plastic bag and stir/mix well to fully coat all of the steak in the marinade. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat the grill on high heat for 15-20 minutes. Brush some olive oil over the grills (optional). Take the steak out of the marinade and place on grill. Cook on each side for 5-8 minutes or until meat is cooked and crisped a bit on the outside and cooked to desired internal temperature. Thin steak needs only to be cooked for a few minutes on each side, while a thicker cut of meat will take longer to cook. Adjust grill heat while cooking to ensure that there is a little bit of char, but the meat doesn’t catch on fire.
- Remove steaks from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes. Chop into pieces and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Can this be made in a crockpot?
This came out just like Chipotle’s steak, but even better. It was moist and tender too. Cheaper for sure!