Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Air fryer tortilla chips come out hot and crispy with just the right amount of salt. Enjoy this snack with all your favorite dips and salsas!
Making chips from tortillas is one of those things that seems much harder than it actually is. Today, we’re taking the simplicity one step further by using an air fryer!
Instead of heating a large pan of oil or risking splatters all over your kitchen (or worse, burns!), you can enjoy hot and crispy corn tortilla chips in just a few minutes.
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Greasy fingers are the worst, and so many homemade chip recipes turn out just as oily as packaged options. Now, there’s an easy, guilt-free way to enjoy your favorite crunchy snack! Try them with this Smoked Queso that’s sure to please.
In addition to making tortilla chips in the air fryer, why not try your hand at air fryer potato chips or sweet potato chips? They are just as easy to prepare and taste so much better than anything from the store.
Plus, you can easily control the amount of oil and salt used in the process for a light and healthy snack!
How To Make Tortilla Chips From Corn Tortillas
The process is much simpler than you may think! All you need are 3 simple ingredients to make your own crispy tortilla chips in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer. This step is very important! You want to basket to be nice and hot so the corn tortilla chips cook just right.
- Slice tortillas into quarters. Cut each round into 4 even pieces. If you have a chef’s knife handy, you can stack several and press straight down with the blade for faster prep.
- Add oil and salt. Lightly spray both sides of each piece with your favorite cooking spray or oil mister. Then, sprinkle with as much salt as you would like!
- Cook. Arrange the pieces in the basket in a single layer — they won’t crisp properly if stacked. Cook for about 3 minutes at 390°, adding an extra minute as needed to get them golden brown.
Pair the air fryer tortilla chips with all of your favorite dips! Obviously, guacamole and salsa are clear winners, but the salty chips are just as good with spinach artichoke dip as well.
Or, use them as a base layer for air fryer nachos, whether they are loaded with toppings or simply smothered in cheese sauce!
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Air Fryer – Different brands and sizes may require different cooking times, so be familiar with your model and make adjustments as needed.
- A Sharp Knife – A larger blade will allow you to cut through several tortillas at once!
- Tongs – I love this set of 3, and I use every pair of them. They are so handy and grip amazingly well!
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips FAQ
What air fryer do you use?
I use the Ninja Foodi, and the chips air fry perfectly. You can use any model air fryer to make this tortilla chips recipe.
Once cooled, air fried tortilla chips can be stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for about a week.
Yes, not to worry! Simply place them back in the air fryer and cook them at 375°F for 3 minutes. They should come out perfectly crunchy again.
Yes! Buy the smallest size flour tortillas you can find, often labeled “soft taco” or “street taco” size, and cut each round into six pieces.
How do you flavor homemade corn tortilla chips?
Simply swap out the regular salt with a flavored variety like lime salt, garlic salt, or chili lime seasoning.
For a sweet variety, reduce the amount of salt and toss the chips in cinnamon and sugar while they are still hot. Don’t add the sweet coating before cooking or it will burn in the air fryer.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Love Our Recipes??
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 5 small corn tortillas, taco size
- kosher salt, to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F for 5 minutes.
- Cut the corn tortillas into quarters.
- Lightly spray both sides of tortillas with non-stick cooking spray and season with salt as desired.
- Place the tortillas in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 3 minutes, or until chips are lightly browned. Time may vary slightly according to your model of air fryer or desired doneness.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite seasoning salt.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2022.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. Clicking on these links does not affect your cost but does provide a small commission to us. Thank you for helping to support us so we can continue creating new recipes for you!
I love finding healthy alternatives to favorites in my household, and this was no exception! A delicious and healthy alternative to oily fried chips!