Air fryer Potato Chips are a healthier version of your favorite salty snack! Enjoy perfectly crispy bites flavored with your favorite seasonings.
There are so many different ways to prepare potatoes, whether it is a classic baked spud or crispy tater tots.
And you can air fry potato chips in a fraction of the time it takes to bake them in the oven!
Air Fryer Potato Chips
Instead of buying endless bags that leave your fingers greasy, enjoy fresh batches of air fried potato chips made with nothing more than fresh veggies, a little oil, and salt.
Air Fryer Chips Tips and Tricks
- Use a mandoline slicer. This ensures that all of your slices are uniform in thickness and helps them even when you air fry the potato chips.
- Don’t skip the soak! This step removes the excess starch from the potatoes, which keeps them from sticking together.
- Add extra seasoning. Sprinkle the slices with garlic or onion powder before cooking.
Or, toss with fresh herbs as soon as they come out of the basket – parsley, sage, or oregano are good options.
- Check them halfway through. Remove any potato chips in the air fryer that are done early, so they don’t burn.
If you notice any sticking together, you can use tongs to carefully separate them.
- Tip for cooling: Transfer each batch to a large baking sheet lined with paper towels.
Once the pan contains a single layer, add more paper towels on top before adding additional batches.
Air Fryer Chips Recipe FAQ
Russet potatoes are the best all-around option. This variety is most often used for baking and frying because of its firmer texture and neutral flavor.
In order to get these air fried potato chips nice and crispy, the slices need to be very thin. I try to make mine about ⅛-inch thick using a mandoline slicer.
It also helps to use potatoes that are similar in size, and group together slices that are similar in width for cooking.
You may not have dried them well enough after soaking them. Be sure to pat each slice dry on both sides before tossing them with oil.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Air Fryer Recipe Links
Air Fryer Potato Chips + Video
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced to ⅛ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped
- french onion dip
- chip dip, your favorite
- Pour water into large bowl, add the salt and stir until the salt is dissolved.
- Thinly slice the potatoes to 1/8 inch thick. Using a mandolin slicer is highly recommended.
- Soak the potatoes in the saltwater for 30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 330°F for 5 minutes
- Add potato slices to the large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and toss with clean hands until coated.
- Layer the potatoes in the preheated air fryer.
- Cook the potatoes at 330°F for 20-25 minutes or until desired browning. Make sure to shake the basket halfway through cooking.
- Immediately season the potatoes with salt when done cooking.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2020, updated and republished January 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.