Sweet and Spicy BBQ Wings are so juicy and tender – they practically melt in your mouth! The barbecue sauce that smothers these wings features the bold flavors of honey, garlic, and chili paste. This crockpot wings recipe is a game changer.
Watch the helpful video in this post to see how easily it comes together!
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Wings
Sweet and spicy is one of the best flavor combos out there, and these slow cooker sticky chicken wings with honey barbecue sauce are just the right thing to satisfy that craving.
Better yet, you won’t need to fry them, so they’re mess-free!
These sweet and spicy bbq wings are caramelized to perfection and are so easy to make – you’ll only need 15 minutes of prep time!
Simply let the crock pot work its magic and you’ll have perfect honey BBQ chicken wings in almost no time at all.
For more easy slow cooker recipes, try my delicious Pork Chops and Gravy or these tasty Buffalo Wings.
Or, if you absolutely love the flavor of these sweet and spicy BBQ wings, try my Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings next!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Chicken Wings – Feel free to use a mix of drumettes and flat, or all drumettes, for these sweet and spicy BBQ wings.
- Honey – This ingredient will make your honey BBQ chicken wings sweet and sticky.
- Brown Sugar – Add brown sugar to get the perfect level of sweetness.
I recommend using light brown sugar since its flavor is more mild and subtle than dark brown sugar.
- Ketchup – The tangy flavor of this ingredient helps balance out the sweetness and saltiness of the barbecue sauce.
- Soy Sauce – Since this crockpot wings recipe calls for additional salt, opt for low sodium soy sauce.
Only have regular soy sauce? No worries, simply omit the additional salt.
- Chili Paste – I typically use the Garden Gourmet brand, which can be found in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Garlic – I recommend using minced garlic, but garlic powder will work just fine if that’s all you have on hand.
Tips for the Best Honey BBQ Wings
- Dry the Chicken. Pat the chicken lightly with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. This will help the sauce stick to the surface.
- Check Internal Temp. Use a digital meat thermometer to make sure that the wings are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Thicken Sauce. Once the wings are cooked, don’t forget to transfer the sauce to the stove!
Bring it to a boil and stir occasionally — you’ll know it’s ready once it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Use a Basting Brush. This will help you coat your crock pot chicken wings evenly and ensure that all areas are fully coated with the amazing sweet and spicy sauce.
- Broil Carefully. Broiling will leave your wings crispy and caramelized.
But you’ll only need to broil for about 2-3 minutes — watch your sauce carefully so that it doesn’t suddenly burn!
Storing and Reheating Sweet and Spicy BBQ Wings
Leftover sweet and spicy BBQ wings can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F and lay the chicken wings on a baking sheet. Pop them in the oven until heated through, approximately 10-15 minutes.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Slow Cooker – Great for soups, roasts, shredded chicken, and more! I love it in the cooler months, but it’s also great in the summer when you don’t want to heat up the whole house with the oven.
- Medium Saucepan – Heats evenly and is easy to clean too.
- Basting Brush – I like this one over the silicone ones. This brush is useful for everything from greasing pans to basting food.
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Wings FAQ
Yes! Frozen chicken will work just fine. Simply adjust your crockpot cooking time to 2-3 hours on High, or 4-6 hours on Low.
These honey BBQ chicken wings make a tasty meal on their own, but can be paired with delicious sides to make the meal more complete.
Yes, but only if you boil it as directed in the recipe card. This will eliminate any harmful bacteria that may occur from being cooked with raw chicken.
Once boiled, allow it to cool and transfer to an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes
Crockpot Sweet and Spicy BBQ Wings + Video
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili paste, I use Garden Gourmet
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds fresh chicken wings, or drumettes *See Notes
- To a 5-quart slow cooker, add the honey, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, chili paste, salt and garlic. Using a large spoon, stir to combine. Add chicken wings and stir well to fully coat them with sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on High for 1 to 2 hours, or 2½ to 3 hours on Low, or until the wings are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Using tongs, transfer the wings from the crock pot to a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
- Transfer the sauce from the slow cooker to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the sauce until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, use a basting brush to slather the wings with sauce.
- Set your oven to broil.
- Place the baking sheet of wings under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce starts to caramelize. *Watch closely – the sauce can very quickly go from perfect to burnt.
- Remove the pan of wings from the oven, brush with another layer of sauce, and broil again for 1 minute. Repeat one more time, coating wings with sauce and broiling until caramelized.
- Remove chicken wings from the oven, transfer to a large platter for servings. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published November 2017, updated and republished December 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.