Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread combines all the best parts of these two delicious treats! Make this crockpot recipe for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.
What’s better than ooey gooey, soft, and buttery sweet cinnamon roll morsels that you can pull apart into little bite-sized pieces?
Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
This monkey bread with frozen bread dough recipe is so much easier to put together than mixing and rolling out dough for a pan of rolls.
With a drizzle of sweet frosting, you won’t be able to taste the difference!
If you’re craving something more savory, I have another easy monkey bread recipe that’s loaded with sausage, eggs, and cheese.
How To Make Crockpot Monkey Bread
Thaw a package of frozen dinner rolls, then cut them into quarters. Coat the pieces in butter and toss in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Add them to a buttered crock pot and cook on High until they are fluffy and cooked through. Start checking at around 1 ½ hours, though it can take up to 3 hours total.
Just before the dough is done, whip up the cream cheese frosting. Drizzle it over the top and serve immediately.
Or, turn the monkey bread with frozen bread dough out onto a serving tray before icing.
Slow Cooker Monkey Bread Tips and Tricks
- Adjust time and temp as needed. Since every slow cooker heats differently, I recommend keeping a close eye on this the first time you prepare it.
If yours runs hot, you may want to set it to Low for a longer period of time to prevent scorching around the outside.
- Double the frosting. If you prefer to have extra icing for dipping, you’ll want to make twice the listed amount.
- Add fruit or nuts. Peel and chop up a firm apple or two to mix in with the dough pieces or sprinkle some walnuts or pecans between the layers of cinnamon roll monkey bread!
- Tip for easy cleanup: Line your crockpot with parchment so you can lift the treat straight out when it’s done!
Keep in mind that it may take a bit longer to cook with this extra layer.
Crockpot Monkey Bread Kitchen Tools
- Slow Cooker – Great for soups, roasts, shredded chicken, and more! I love it in the cooler months, but it’s also great in the summer when you don’t want to heat up the whole house with the oven.
- Kitchen Shears make quick work of cutting up the dough balls for this easy monkey bread.
- Mixing Bowls – I like to have a variety of sizes on hand, and this set has them all.
- Electric Hand Mixer – I’ve had this one in my kitchen forever and it still works beautifully.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Rolls FAQs
For this crockpot monkey bread recipe I used Rhodes, and it’s also what I use for my famous bombs! You could also whip up a batch of homemade white bread dough if you prefer to use that.
It should be fine at room temperature if you leave off the icing, otherwise, it will need to be chilled.
Because the texture is more doughy than traditional baked versions, it won’t become tough in the refrigerator.
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and warm individual portions in the microwave.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Crockpot Dessert Recipes
Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread + Video
- 24 frozen dinner rolls
- 16 tablespoons butter, 2 sticks. melted
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place frozen dinner rolls on clean counter top or cutting board to thaw enough to cut, about 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile: melt butter in medium bowl and prepare cinnamon sugar. To prepare cinnamon sugar, combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- Add 1/4 cup of melted butter to the bottom of a 6 quart slow cooker, brush butter up the sides or use a paper towel. Set aside.
- Using clean kitchen shears, cut dinner rolls into 1/4’s. Place a handful of the cut rolls into the butter. Stir to coat. Remove from butter and toss in cinnamon sugar.
- Place half of the cinnamon roll bites into the slow cooker in an even layer. Repeat to make 2 even layers. Pour any remaining cinnamon sugar over top and pour remaining butter over top. Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2-3 hours (mine were perfect at 1 hour 45 minutes).
- If you place paper towels around the lid of the slow cooker it will help with the consistency of the recipe.
- Meanwhile prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- In a tall bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and continue to mix until incorporated. Add cream and salt. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Drizzle frosting over the entire batch of pull apart bread or serve on the side.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2016, updated and republished April 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.