Cheesy Skillet Lasagna + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Skillet lasagna is loaded with flavor and so much cheese, you’ll be making it again and again. Try this easy one pan meal for dinner tonight!
This one pan lasagna recipe goes from prep to plate in just 30 minutes! Now you can enjoy all those classic Italian flavors without spending hours in the kitchen.
If you prefer to go the more traditional route, you can still have dinner on the table in under an hour using this recipe with no-boil noodles.
Otherwise, take a look at some of my other one pan meals like this Easy Chicken Pot Pie or Cheesy Chicken Enchilada.
Want more pasta? Combine ravioli and sausage with a delicious tomato sauce or try this skillet recipe that tastes just like your favorite pizza!
How To Make Skillet Lasagna
- Brown the beef with garlic and seasonings.
Go ahead and break up the meat at the beginning if needed, then give it a stir only once or twice so it cooks evenly.
- Stir in the pasta, tomatoes, and water.
Press down on the noodles gently so they are submerged under the liquid. Cover and simmer until the pasta is al dente, meaning it still has some bite to it.
- Add the cheese and broil.
Mix in the Parmesan until melted, then evenly distribute the mozzarella and ricotta across the top. Place in the oven uncovered and remove once the cheese is browned and bubbly.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Stir the pasta occasionally. This prevents anything from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Keep it covered. Since there is a limited amount of liquid, adding a lid to the skillet lasagna creates steam inside the pan which helps the noodles soften.
- Want more flavor? Replace the water with vegetable or beef broth instead! You could also use a combination of water and broth if you would like.
- Add veggies. You can easily toss in some mushrooms, zucchini, or bell pepper strips with the meat. If you want to include spinach in this one pan lasagna recipe, I recommend adding it with the Parmesan so it doesn’t become too wilted.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I use a different type of pasta?
Sure! The fluttery edges of campanelle are pretty to look at, but they also help catch and contain that delicious cheese sauce.
Choose any short pasta with plenty of nooks and crannies, like fusilli, penne, rigatoni, or even medium shells. Just make note of any differences in cooking time listed on the box.
How long does skillet lasagna last in the refrigerator?
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make this recipe!
Cheesy Skillet Lasagna + Video
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 3 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 16 ounces Campanelle pasta, or rigatoni or penne
- 25 ounces diced tomatoes, no salt
- 3 cup water
- 4 ounces shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 5 pieces
- 4 ounces whole ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- In a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add beef, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Stir to combine. Allow meat to brown, stirring occasionally. About 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Add pasta, tomatoes and water to skillet. Stir until well combined and pasta is submerged. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally. About 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese. Place a mozzarella slice in the center of the skillet and the 4 remaining evenly around the skillet. Dollop the ricotta in the spaces between the mozzarella. Place skillet in oven until mozzarella cheese is golden brown and bubbly. About 3-5 minutes. CAUTION SKILLET IS HOT!!! Use a pot holder to remove from oven. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2012, updated and republished March 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
That looks great – I am going to pin this!
Love an easy and beautiful recipe! Very nice again Donna.
I am seeing more and more "skillet" meals out there, need to try this one indeed!
Original, easy, beautiful and delicious,
Thank you 🙂
Does not say how many oz of pasta
Thank you for catching that Candymittens! It is a 16 ounce box. I have updated the recipe.
Glad I checked the comments…the amount of ounces of pasta still not showing in recipe :-/
Going to try out this recipe, looks tasty 😋
Patti, the correct amount of pasta is a 16-ounce box. Hope this helps!
TSRI Team member,
I love this lasagna recipe, and it doesn’t take long at all! My family looks forward to fridays because of this dish.