A Grasshopper Shot is the kind of creamy, minty, and chocolatey treat that can’t be beat. Blow your friends away this St. Patrick’s Day!
There’s nothing more fun than throwing together some festive and creative themed drinks for holiday get-togethers, and we cracked the code for the perfect St. Patty’s Day drink. After all, how can you go wrong with chocolate, mint, and cream? You can’t!
Our Grasshopper cocktail recipe is a sweet, tasty drink that goes down so smooth. It’s seriously, dangerously delicious! Be prepared to make several rounds of these drinks, because all of your friends will be coming back for more.
For another St. Patrick’s Day delight, try out this brunch-perfect cocktail featuring refreshing mint and creamy caramel. It’s a match made in heaven!
And if the holiday has you in the mood for some delicious irish cream, you can also give this mocha cocktail a taste. Elegant and featuring your favorite espresso, it’s certainly a classy concoction that will quickly become a go-to drink.
Grasshopper Shot – Tips and Tricks
- Use spray whipped cream. Spray whipped cream will give you a picture-perfect Grasshopper shot and will also be so much easier to serve. Spray, serve, shot! It’s that easy.
- Go light with the garnish. Don’t forget: this is a shooter, so you want everything to go down smoothly. Sprinkles or very light chocolate shavings will do the trick with this one.
- No cocktail shaker? You can use a blender bottle, mason jar, or even a coffee cup to mix your mint cocktails – or any drink, for that matter!
- Become a mixing pro. Always add the ice to your shaker first, never mix with crushed ice, and mix your drink for about 15 seconds before pouring.
Chocolate lovers might consider a chocolate drizzle on top of the whipped cream before adding your sprinkle garnish! Chocolate sprinkles can also be used if preferred.
For a fantastic festive finish, use some green crystal sugar to rim each glass before pouring in the Grasshopper shot.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
What is the difference between white and brown creme de cacao?
White creme de cacao is clear and sweet, which makes it perfect for this Grasshopper cocktail recipe!
Brown creme de cacao has more of a dark, chocolate flavor, but would mess with the overall color of this drink.
How do I make a sprinkle rim for my shooter?
You can use simple syrup, honey, or even melted chocolate to help your sprinkles stick. Line the rim of your shooters with any of these options, then stick the glass rim-down in a bowl of the sprinkles.
To help the rim set, pop your glasses in the fridge right away.
What does creme de menthe taste like?
Creme de menthe is very minty and very sweet. If you’re not a fan of the flavor, you can use peppermint schnapps as a substitute in mint cocktails.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other St. Paddy’s Day Recipes
Lucky Shamrock Grasshopper Shot
- 2 ounces Crème de menthe, mint liqueur
- 4 ounces Crème de cacao white, chocolate liqueur
- 3 ounces International Delight French Vanilla Creamer
- ReddiWip whipped cream
- Optional: sprinkles for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour first three ingredients into shaker. Shake to combine, strain into shot glasses. Top with whipped topping (I prefer the spray kind for this) and garnish with sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2013, updated and republished February 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.