Low Calorie Mexican Baked Eggs
I am so delighted to be participating in The Secret Recipe Club this month. It is so exciting, kind of like Christmas. How it works… A name is ‘drawn’ and assigned to you. “You simply choose any recipe from the blog you are assigned, make or bake it, and blog about it on the date specified…”
I drew Kitchen Trial and Error. I clicked on the link and took a look around. Kitchen Trial and Error is a fabulously delicious blog!!! It is written by Kate, a twenty-something living in the great state of New York with her husband Jason. I really enjoyed her down to earth writing. I was pleasantly surprised by the occasional recipe post from Jason. I think I may have given Mr. W (my husband) an idea or two. I highly recommend you check out her blog. You will not be disappointed! Try these mini frittatas too!!
I started looking for recipes. You really think that is going to be easy when you start. I had 3 windows open with about 10 different tabs each… Oh my, so much fantastic food. Mr. W had about 5 recipes picked out for me. They are now on my list of things to bake. I finally settled on something that I though could be “On the Lighter Side” with a few minor adjustments, and that looked absolutely delicious. And it was!!!
Eggs are a favorite here so low calorie Greek baked eggs are a family favorite!
Prepared with egg whites – 189 calories and 14g protein, per serving.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Trial and Error
Low Calorie Mexican Baked Eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, Extra virgin
- 1 small onion, grated (or minced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Mexican spice mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 egg whites, I did a whole egg in 2 of them instead, 2 egg whites or 1 egg per dish
- 1/2 cup 2% Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Lightly rub 4 ramekins with olive oil. Place them on a small cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil to lightly coat bottom of pan, set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until starting to soften, about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spices and stir constantly about 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, simmer about 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Divide the tomato mixture among the ramekins.
- Crack an egg or 2 egg whites on top of the mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Place back into oven for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published Sep 12, 2011
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.