Low Calorie Greek Baked Eggs
Happy Monday everyone! Today is On the Lighter Side here at The Slow Roasted Italian. Today also happens to be Secret Recipe Club Monday!!!
I am so delighted to be participating in the Secret Recipe Club this month. It is so exciting, kind of like Christmas morning. This is how it works… You sign up for The Secret Recipe Club by going to the website here. A name is ‘drawn’ and assigned to you. “You simply choose any recipe from the blog you are assigned, make or bake it, and blog about it on the date specified…”
I drew Dancing Veggies this month, a fabulous vegetarian blog with several vegan recipes. I clicked on the link and took a look around. It is written by Amanda, a twenty-something focusing on simple and quick dishes with ingredients that can be found at the local market. I highly recommend you check out her blog.
I found 2 recipes that I absolutely fell in love with. I love eggs and I also love salads. I found this incredibly simple recipe for Baked Greek Eggs, that looked so easy to adapt to suit personal tastes and also Chipotle Salad with Tomato Bean Salsa. In the end I decided on the eggs. But, I am making that salad for lunch today!
They are incredible. I added some olives, mint and changed to egg whites. This dish has a mere 185 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving and packs 19 grams of protein. Incredibly flavorful with a browned feta cheese top, it is really filling too! I hope you love it, I certainly do. We also love Mexican baked eggs!
Recipe adapted from Dancing Veggies
Low Calorie Baked Greek Eggs
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- olive oil spray
- 4 kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 egg whites
- 1 ounce reduced fat feta cheese, finely diced or crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare 2 – 2 cup oven safe bowls or ramekin by spraying with olive oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spray a medium skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat, cook onions and peppers until barely browned. Remove from heat.
- Evenly distribute the pepper mixture into 2 prepared bowls. Sprinkle the diced olives on top of each, half on each.
- In a separate medium bowl, add egg whites, mint, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour half the egg whites into each bowl. Sprinkle each top with half of the feta cheese. Place oven safe bowls on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the egg whites are almost done. Turn oven to 400°. Bake for 5 minutes to slightly brown the tops.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published Oct 10, 2011
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.