Classic Mudslide Drink
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mudslide Drink puts all other ice cream cocktails to shame! It’s a luscious and creamy frozen combination of vodka, Baileys Irish Cream, coffee liqueur and ice cream!! Your next party is screaming for this outrageously silky smooth, sweet, and scrumptious summer drink!!
I just love ice cream cocktails, from fresh strawberry wine floats to the outrageous, over the top kind, like a Chocolate Caramel Milkshake cocktail.
If I haven’t made it obvious yet, I’m obsessed with frozen cocktails! Make a few for your next summer party, then let me know which you like best!
A classic mudslide drink includes coffee liqueur (Kahlua), Irish cream (Baileys), vodka, and heavy cream. We make our mudslide recipe with chocolate ice cream and some chocolate syrup for maximum chocolate flavor!
To make this drink without alcohol, replace the Kahlua with a coffee syrup or some instant coffee. Swap out the Baileys with regular heavy cream (or half & half for a thinner drink), and replace the vodka with more cream or leave it out entirely.
Now you have a virgin mudslide drink that’s basically just a creamy coffee chocolate milkshake!
Kahlua Mudslide Ingredients
- Chocolate Ice Cream – If you prefer a thinner cocktail, use a bit less ice cream.
Or, just gradually add it to the blender, stopping when you reach your desired consistency.
- Vodka – There are a lot of strong flavors in this recipe, between the cream and
Kahlua and chocolate, so you don’t need to go all out and invest in top shelf vodka.
But if you really want to take things up a notch, use a cake or icing flavored vodka!
- Irish Cream and Heavy Cream – You really can’t go wrong with Bailey’s, but any brand of Irish cream will do.
And if you want a bit less alcohol, substitute half and half instead.
- Kahlua (Coffee Liqueur) – Again, any brand works, but Kahlua is the king of coffee liqueurs!
Your best substitutes would be instant coffee, a coffee-flavored syrup, or espresso powder mixed with a bit of rum.
- Make a Mudslide Shooter – Add ⅓ ounce of Irish cream, coffee liqueur, and vodka to a shooter.
Mix in 1 ounce of chocolate ice cream till it’s nice and blended and top with Hershey’s syrup!
- Try a Thinner Drink – For a drink that’s smooth, silky, and totally sippable, leave out the ice cream and just add a few ice cubes to a glass.
Stir the rest of the ingredients together and pour them into the glass for a cool, refreshing drink!
- Extra Creamy – Instead of ice cubes, fill a tray with cream, stick it in the freezer, and use those in your shake instead!
Your frozen mudslide will be extra thick and super creamy!
- Fun Flavor Ideas – Replace the chocolate ice cream with coffee ice cream for a magnificent mocha mudslide, very similar to a Mississippi Mudslide!
You can also use vanilla ice cream for a bit less chocolatey flavor.
- Great Garnishes – Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, chocolate sprinkles, or a cherry on top would tie the whole drink together.
Storing and Serving
A mudslide drink isn’t the type of recipe you can make ahead, because there’s ice cream involved. I mean, you don’t want your cocktail to melt!
I also don’t recommend freezing ice cream cocktails. While vodka doesn’t completely freeze, it can affect the overall creamy consistency of the mudslide.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Favorite Kahlua Cocktails
Classic Mudslide Drink
- 16 ice cubes
- 6 scoops chocolate ice cream, see notes
- 3 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces Bailey's Irish Cream
- 3 ounces Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 3 ounces heavy cream, or half & half
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Add ice cubes to a blender and pulse to finely crush the ice.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order shown (ice cream first, to keep room temperature alcohol from melting the ice) and blend on High speed for 45 seconds, or until mixture is creamy.
- Portion the mudslide drink evenly between two tall glasses. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2011, updated and republished September 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
Happy birthday to your dad. What a delicious way to cyber celebrate. I think I'll start that tradition with my loved ones who are not nearby!!
Happy Birthday to your dad awesome celebration!
These look scrumptious, Donna. I'm now dreaming of whipped cream too. If only it went well with eggs for breakfast…
I love mudslides…They are worth every calorie…happy birthday to your dad.
Happy Birthday to dad! Is it too early to have one of those this morning? What a wonderful way to beat this #&%@*%& HEAT!!
I know we live in the desert, but ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
WOWWW! these look amazing! mudslides, yes please!
Happy birthday to your dad! These mudslides look like the perfect treat to celebrate the day. 🙂
OMG..I am so so so trying this.. it sounds PERFECT!!!!!
Again learned something new.Never made those before.Thank you:)
I need one of these in my life! Here's to your dad…hope he had a great day 🙂
That looks yummy and perfect..I love this….Should give it a try soon…Thank you so much for the recipe…
These are way too easy to drink!! They taste amazing and I always want more.