Our Mudslide Recipe puts all other ice cream cocktails to shame! A Kahlua Mudslide is a luscious and creamy frozen combination of vodka, Baileys Irish Cream, coffee liqueur, and ice cream!! Your next party is screaming for this outrageously silky smooth, sweet, and scrumptious summer drink!!
Prepare yourself for the most chocolatey, frosty cocktail you’ve ever tried!
With hints of coffee and Irish Cream flavor, this mudslide drink recipe will cool you down and pep you up with every sip you take.
If I haven’t made it obvious yet, I’m obsessed with frozen cocktails! Make a few for your next summer party, then let me know which you like best!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Chocolate Ice Cream – If you prefer a thinner cocktail, use a bit less ice cream.
Or, just gradually add it to the blender, stopping when you reach your desired consistency.
- Vodka – There are a lot of strong flavors in this mudslide drink recipe between the cream, Kahlua, and chocolate, so you don’t need to go all out and invest in top shelf vodka.
But if you really want to take things up a notch, use a cake or icing flavored vodka!
- Irish Cream and Heavy Cream – You really can’t go wrong with Bailey’s, but any brand of Irish cream will do.
And if you want a bit less alcohol in your Kahlua mudslide, replace some of the Bailey’s with half and half.
- Kahlua (Coffee Liqueur) – Again, any brand works, but Kahlua is the king of coffee liqueurs!
Your best substitutes would be instant coffee, a coffee-flavored syrup, or espresso powder mixed with a bit of rum.
Variations for a Mudslide Drink
- Make a mudslide shooter
Add ⅓ ounce each of Irish cream, coffee liqueur, and vodka to a tall shot glass.
Mix in 1 ounce of chocolate ice cream till it’s nice and blended, then top with Hershey’s syrup!
- Try a thinner consistency
For a mudslide drink that’s smooth, silky, and totally sippable, leave out the ice cream and just add a few ice cubes to a glass.
Stir the rest of the ingredients together and pour them over the ice for a cool, refreshing drink!
- Make it extra creamy
Instead of ice cubes, fill a tray with cream, stick it in the freezer, and use those in this frozen mudslide recipe instead!
Your frosty cocktail will be extra thick and super creamy!
- Fun flavor ideas
Replace the chocolate ice cream with coffee ice cream for a magnificent mocha mudslide, very similar to a Mississippi Mudslide!
For a copycat version of TGIFriday’s mudslide recipe, replace 2 scoops of the chocolate ice cream with vanilla.
Or, use all vanilla ice cream for a less chocolatey flavor overall!
- Great garnishes
Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, chocolate sprinkles, or a cherry on top will tie the whole mudslide drink recipe together.
Mudslide Drink Recipe FAQ
The classic version includes coffee liqueur (Kahlua), Irish cream (Baileys), vodka, and heavy cream.
We make our frozen mudslide recipe with chocolate ice cream and some chocolate syrup for maximum chocolate flavor!
To make a virgin mudslide, replace the Kahlua with a coffee syrup or some instant coffee.
Swap out the Baileys with regular heavy cream (or half & half for a thinner drink), then replace the vodka with more cream or leave it out entirely.
It’s basically just a creamy coffee chocolate milkshake, but it’s still just as tasty!
Storing and Serving Kahlua Mudslide Drinks
This mudslide recipe isn’t one you can make ahead because there’s ice cream involved. I mean, you don’t want your mudslide drink to melt!
I also don’t recommend freezing ice cream cocktails. While vodka doesn’t completely freeze, it can affect the overall creamy consistency of the drink.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Favorite Kahlua Cocktails
Classic Mudslide Recipe
- 16 ice cubes
- 6 scoops chocolate ice cream, see notes
- 3 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces Bailey's Irish Cream
- 3 ounces Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 3 ounces heavy cream, or half & half
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Add ice cubes to a blender and pulse to finely crush the ice.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order shown (ice cream first, to keep room temperature alcohol from melting the ice) and blend on High speed for 45 seconds, or until mixture is creamy.
- Portion the mudslide drink evenly between two tall glasses. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2011, updated and republished September 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.