Homemade mozzarella sticks are easy to make and taste even better than frozen or takeout versions. Make this fried cheese recipe in 30 minutes!
Gooey, stretchy cheese coated in crispy, seasoned breading is the ultimate comfort food snack. Dunk fried mozzarella in your favorite sauce and you’re all set!
All you need are cheese sticks, Italian breadcrumbs, and a handful of pantry staples to create this popular dish right in your own kitchen.
Looking for more homemade versions of your favorite frozen appetizers? You can never go wrong with a big platter of buffalo wings!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks – Tips and Tricks
- Load up on flavor. Italian herb breadcrumbs come already seasoned, but you can always add more! Or, combine 1 tablespoon dried Italian season with 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs to make your own
- Add some heat. A shake or two of dried red pepper flakes adds a kick to the breading.
- Watch the temperature. It’s crucial for the oil to be hot enough, or the fried mozzarella won’t get crispy and brown.
Also, allow the temperature to recover between batches so they cook evenly.
- Don’t forget to drain! Place a wire rack inside a baking sheet to catch oil drips as the fried mozzarella cools. Or, lay the sticks in a single layer on a large plate lined with a paper towel
- Feeding a crowd? Double or triple the recipe as needed, working in batches until all of them are fried. You can keep earlier batches warm in a low temp oven or serve them up as you go.
Pair this fried cheese recipe with more of your favorite party appetizers or enjoy them alone as a tasty snack! They also make a delicious side to a classic meal of spaghetti and meatballs.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
How do I keep the breading from clumping together?
You’ll want to use separate hands while dredging to keep the ingredient on the cheese and off of your fingers!
Use one hand for dipping in the flour and breadcrumb mixtures and the other for the egg wash. Then, work on one cheese stick at a time from start to finish.
Can I save leftover homemade mozzarella sticks?
Yes! These will keep for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven at 375°F for about 5 minutes or until crispy.
You could also freeze them once cooked for future snacking! When a craving hits, pop them in the air fryer for a few minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Easy Appetizer Recipes
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- Oil for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks
- Add 2-3 inches of oil to a deep-frying pan or pot and heat it over medium heat or until it reaches 265 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the meantime, add the flour to a shallow bowl then add the salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water together.
- Finally, in a separate shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the cheese sticks one at a time in the flour then dip them in the egg mixture then coat them in the breadcrumbs and set them on a plate or cooling rack.
- Once the oil is ready, fry each of the cheese sticks in the oil for 2-3 minutes or until light and golden. Only add 3-4 cheese sticks at a time to not overcrowd the pan.
- Let them cool on a cooling rack or a plate fitted with a paper towel then serve with marinara sauce.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.