Baked grilled cheese has the same golden, crispy crust and gooey melted center you know and love. Cook a big batch at once in just 10 minutes!
With just one pan, you can have a dozen or so oven grilled cheese sandwiches for a crowd without having to stand in front of a hot stove flipping them one by one!
Baked Grilled Cheese
Making grilled cheese in the oven puts an end to that old, labor intensive method and yields sandwiches that are just as tasty.
Tips for Perfect Oven Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Slice your own cheese.
While packaged slices and shreds are convenient, they contain anti-caking agents to prevent them from sticking together.
This also creates a waxy texture and prevents that ooey-gooey pull you’re looking for.
- Use room temperature ingredients.
Cold slices takes longer to melt and softened butter is easier to spread.
- Want them extra crispy?
Grab another baking sheet and place it on top of the oven grilled cheese sandwiches!
The extra weight and heat will help the bread toast more evenly, like a makeshift panini press.
EASY KITCHEN HACK
Add whatever else you want to these baked grilled cheese sandwiches!
Tomatoes, bacon, ham, spinach, and apple slices are all great toppings that would taste delicious.
Baked Grilled Cheese FAQ
There really isn’t a wrong answer here! Consider traditional white bread, Texas toast, rye, multigrain, whole grain, or anything else you like.
It’s a good idea to pair an aged variety for flavor with a younger variety that melts easily. The combination of mild cheddar, Swiss, and Brie in this grilled cheese in oven recipe creates a creamy, mild flavor that anyone will enjoy.
However, feel free to experiment with different combinations! Some popular choices are:
As soon as you notice the tops getting nice and golden-brown, or if the center is starting to melt, it’s time to flip your baked grilled cheese sandwiches!
This usually takes place around the 5-minute mark, but keep a close eye since these can go from golden brown to burnt pretty quickly!
You can slice all of the cheese up to a day in advance, so all that’s left to do is assemble. Or, put together each sandwich before guests arrive and butter them just before they go in the oven.
Either way, they should be served immediately after being baked!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Recipes
Baked Grilled Cheese + Video
- 24 slices thick sliced bread, Texas toast is great
- 12 slices Swiss cheese, sliced thick
- 12 slices mild cheddar cheese, sliced thick
- 12 ounces Brie cheese, sliced thin
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prep sandwiches: generously butter a slice of bread, place it face down on your baking sheet.
- Place a slice of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Top the with slices of Brie, then finish each with a slice of mild cheddar with 3 slices total.
- Place a slice of bread on top and butter the top of the second slice of bread. Set aside and repeat until you have enough sandwiches to fill your baking sheets. *I made 12 sandwiches
- Once your sandwiches are prepared, place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes (or until very golden brown and the cheeses are melty), flip the sandwiches after the first 5 minutes of bake time.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published May 2014, updated and republished January 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.