Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is so simple to make, you’ll never want to use a pan again! Enjoy one for a quick and easy meal that’s mess-free too. This simple recipe creates the perfect comfort food!
If you’re thinking that making grilled cheese on the stovetop is easy enough, let me tell you that air fried grilled cheese is life changing!
Using the air fryer basket is a simple way to create that perfect melty cheese without the mess. With a quick cooking time, it literally is the perfect recipe.
Who knew that air fryer could create the best grilled cheese sandwiches? I’m obsessed with making this easy lunch!
The golden bread and the melted cheese are the best!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
With perfectly toasted bread and a gooey center, who could resist making grilled cheese in the air fryer?
There’s less fat, the cheese melts better, and you end up with those perfectly crisp edges that make the best grilled cheese!!
If this recipe is too simple for your taste, check out my gourmet version that’s stuffed with bacon, tomatoes, and arugula.
Or, try a crispy Monte Cristo with raspberry jam – just like the kind you can get at Disneyland!
How to Air Fry Grilled Cheese
- Use plenty of cheese. This recipe calls for 3 slices per sandwich so you can really taste the flavor.
Adjust the amounts as needed, especially if you plan to use a bolder variety or a combination of both.
- Assemble carefully. Be sure to keep the slices of American away from the edges of the bread. If any hangs over, it tends to get hard or spill down through the basket.
- Toothpicks are your friend! Stick one through each sandwich to prevent any sliding or separation at first.
You can remove it once it’s ready to flip since the air fryer grilled cheese sandwich will be melty enough to hold together.
- Have leftovers? While these are best when freshly cooked, you can keep extras in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Reheat grilled cheese in the air fryer until warm and crispy again.
Pair your air fryer grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of creamy tomato basil soup. It’s a classic comfort food combo for a reason!
Air Fried Grilled Cheese FAQ
Not at all! In fact, you’re guaranteed perfectly crunchy bites when you air fry grilled cheese sandwiches.
Because of the circulation in the basket, each sandwich gets nice and crisp all around the outer layer.
Yes, feel free to use whichever you prefer. The flavor difference shouldn’t be too noticeable.
Mayonnaise and butter are the two most commonly used spreads for this type of sandwich, and either will create a crispy texture on the outside of the bread.
This really comes down to preference, and there’s no right or wrong answer. Get creative with different combinations and try two different cheeses at once if you would like!
If you do use a thinner or less dense variety of bread, keep an eye on your sandwich towards the end of cooking. You may need to pull it early so it doesn’t become too dark or crispy.
Breads: Italian, whole wheat, honey wheat, ciabatta, rye, Texas toast, garlic bread, French bread, brioche bread, sourdough bread, any white bread
Cheeses: Velveeta, sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, American cheese, Havarti, fontina, gruyere, Monterey Jack cheese slices – or any types of cheese that you want
You can really use any type of high quality cheese or aged cheeses with your preferred pieces of bread. Most cheese will make a good melting cheese to pair with your favorite bread. Some people prefer a thicker bread to balance out the slices of cheese.
Enjoy this quick lunch in any delicious way that you want!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Air Fryer Recipes
Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 6 slices American cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
- serve with dill pickle spear and tomato soup, optional
- Preheat the air fryer at 350°F for 4 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of mayo on one side of a slice of sourdough bread. Place bread mayo-side down in the air fryer basket. Repeat for a second slice.
- Place 3 slices of American cheese on top of each of the bread slices, keeping the cheese away from the edges.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of mayo on a new slice of sourdough bread. Place the bread, mayo-side up on top of the cheese slices of the first sandwich. Repeat for the second sandwich. Secure the sandwich stack together with a toothpick.
- Cook at 350°F for 10 minutes, removing toothpicks and flipping halfway through.
- Flip one more time and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove promptly from the air fryer and cut in half. Serve with a dill pickle spear and a bowl of tomato soup. Enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2021, updated and republished February 2024
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.