Chocolate Smores Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Smores cookies are perfectly soft, extra gooey, and loaded with all the flavors of the classic treat. Bake up a batch in just 30 minutes!
Sweet homemade cookie dough is flavored with cocoa and speckled with chocolate chunks to create an indulgent base for melted marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs, and Hershey pieces!
Not only are they a great make-ahead option for parties and get-togethers, but they can be wrapped up for gift baskets and bake sales as well.
These chocolate smores cookies are just one of many takes on a classic campfire treat. Whether you’re in the mood for candy, pie, or even cake there’s sure to be something to satisfy your cravings! Or the traditional smores but in the air fryer!
How To Make Smores Cookies
Since this smores cookie recipe comes together quickly, have all of your ingredients prepped and measured before getting started – that includes breaking apart the Hershey bars into smaller rectangles as well.
Form the dough like you normally would, but don’t add the marshmallows until after it’s been scooped onto the baking sheet.
Once the treats are baked, add extra marshmallows to the top and spread them around. Then, finish them off with a piece of chocolate and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs.
Tips and Tricks
- Use room temp ingredients. Let the butter and egg sit out on the counter while you preheat the oven and prep the toppings.
Not only will they blend easier with the other ingredients, but you’ll get a better rise in your baked goods.
- Need to soften butter quickly? Fill a tall glass with hot water and dump it back out. Stand the stick of butter on its end, then place the hot glass upside down over the top.
Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and you’re good to go!
- Add the marshmallows last. If you mix them into the dough, the smores cookies won’t bake right. Be sure to press them into the center just before they go into the oven.
- Make your own crumbs. Simply pulse a couple of graham cracker sheets in a food processor until you get a sandy consistency.
Or, place them in a sealed ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin.
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I double this smores cookie recipe?
Absolutely! One batch makes about a dozen and a half treats, so feel free to double or triple the amounts if you’ll need more than that.
Do these need to be refrigerated?
Store chocolate smores cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. The chill from the refrigerator will cause the tops to harden, making it difficult to bite into each treat.
Can I freeze the cookie dough for later?
Yes, but you will need to leave out the marshmallows or they’ll become rock hard. I also recommend scooping out the rounds first so they thaw faster.
Once they’ve softened in the refrigerator, press the marshmallows into the center and bake as directed.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
MORE COOKIE RECIPES
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
Apple Cookies with Streusel Topping
Chocolate Smores Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3 Hershey bars
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, for garnishing
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork or whisk to combine flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, and salt and then add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Using a cookie scoop, create 2 tablespoon cookie dough balls and place them about 2” apart on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Press 3 marshmallows into the center of each cookie dough ball and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add 3-6 more marshmallows and use them to spread the melted marshmallows around the top of the cookie.
- Place a piece of chocolate on top of the marshmallows and sprinkle with crushed graham crackers.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
These were incredible! I have had some “smores” type cookies before but these are by far the most realistic smores taste. I will be saving this recipe for the future! Thank you!