2-Ingredient Affogato Recipe + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Affogato is an Italian dessert featuring hot espresso poured over creamy gelato. You can make this affogato recipe for one, or a tray full, to impress your guests.
This 2-ingredient espresso dessert will have you feeling fancy in minutes!!
Learn how to make affogato the classic way in the recipe card below, or try one of the many suggested flavor combinations.
Want more Italian desserts? I’ve got a few different tiramisu trifle recipes like peanut butter chocolate or Southern cherry.
There’s also a rich tiramisu ice cream cake that reminds me of this homemade affogato ice cream drink, or blend up a frosty caramel macchiato milkshake with just five ingredients!
How To Make Affogato
It doesn’t get much simpler than this – scoop your frozen treat into a bowl or glass, then pour hot espresso over the top!
While gelato is what’s typically used, you can get away with any high quality ice cream that’s just as dense and creamy.
You can even add a shot of your favorite liqueur if you want your dessert to be a little boozy!
Obviously, this melts pretty quickly so be sure to dig in right away.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make an affogato coffee!!
Delicious Flavor Combinations
Set up a “create your own” station for guests so everyone can try their favorite concoctions. For alcohol-free affogato drinks, simply leave out the liqueur.
- Creamsicle – vanilla gelato, Grand Marnier (or orange juice), whipped cream, orange zest
- Peppermint – vanilla gelato, peppermint schnapps, crushed peppermint candies
- Turtle – caramel gelato, Frangelico, chocolate and caramel sauce, chopped pecans
- Smores – vanilla gelato, Godiva liqueur, chocolate syrup, marshmallow fluff, chopped chocolate
- Tiramisu – vanilla gelato, dark rum, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, crushed lady fingers
- Cookies & Creme – cookies and cream gelato, Baileys, dollop whipped cream, hot fudge, crushed Oreos
- Peanut Butter Cup – peanut butter gelato, Kahlua, hot fudge, chopped Reese’s
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
More Topping Ideas
There’s really no limit to what you can come up with. Search through your pantry to see what you have – the options may surprise you!
- Caramel sauce
- Shaved chocolate bar
- Crushed biscotti
- Liqueur: 1 ounce of Amaretto, Bourbon, or Kahlua
- Sea salt flakes
- Cookie crumbles
- Toasted and chopped hazelnuts or pistachios
- Cinnamon or nutmeg
Affogato Recipe FAQ
How can I make this kid friendly?
If you think they would like the flavor, brew some decaf coffee for them to use.
Otherwise, crack open a can of root beer and pour them a float instead!
I don’t have an espresso machine. What can I use instead?
Brew a small pot of strong coffee or combine espresso powder with hot water.
Follow the directions on the container of powder for exact measurements.
Is there an easy way to prep this affogato recipe?
Scoop the ice cream into individual glasses, then cover them with plastic wrap and freeze until you are ready to serve.
Espresso should be made fresh since the shots will “die” (become bitter) if they sit for too long.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Affogato Recipe + Video
- 1/2 cup vanilla bean gelato, or good quality vanilla bean ice cream
- 2 shots espresso, freshly brewed, or strong brewed coffee
- Place gelato in a glass or bowl. Pour hot espresso over the ice cream.
- If desired, add any of the flavor combinations shown in the notes section, below.
- Serve and enjoy! Best eaten immediately.
- Creamsicle Affogato – vanilla gelato, grand Marnier (or orange juice), whipped cream, orange zest
- Peppermint Affogato – vanilla gelato, peppermint schnapps, crushed peppermint candies
- Turtle Affogato – caramel gelato, Frangelico, chocolate and caramel sauce, chopped pecans
- Smores Affogato – vanilla gelato, Godiva liqueur, chocolate syrup, marshmallow fluff, chopped chocolate
- Tiramisu Affogato – vanilla gelato, dark rum, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, crushed lady fingers
- Cookies & Creme Affogato – cookies and cream gelato, Baileys, dollop whipped cream, hot fudge, crushed Oreos
- Peanut Butter Cup Affogato – peanut butter gelato, Kahlua, hot fudge, chopped Reese’s
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2021.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
This is a dessert I’ve never seen before, so I felt so fancy making this! I’m going to make this for christmas eve!
Never heard of this before. Does the gelato melt quickly from the hot coffee or do you allow it to cool down a bit. It just seems like it would be like soup by the time you go to eat it pouring hot coffee or espresso???