Instant Pot chicken and rice is quick and easy to make in a pressure cooker. Make this recipe for creamy comfort food at its best!
I love recipes that let me get in and out of the kitchen fast. And, using my Instant Pot lets me do exactly that. Have you had a chance to try any of my other Instant Pot recipes?
Chicken and Mushrooms is classic comfort food with perfectly tender chicken breasts smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce.
Mac and Cheese is so creamy and you can make it in less than 15 minutes in your pressure cooker.
And my Olive Garden Copycat Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is made quick and easy in a pressure cooker. It’s a hit from the first bite.
How to make Instant Pot chicken and rice
It really doesn’t get much easier than this recipe for chicken and rice in Instant Pot
- Saute the veggies and rice. You simply saute the onions and carrots in a skillet until they are soft and golden. Then, you add the garlic and oregano followed by the rice and mushrooms.
- Add the chicken. After pouring the chicken broth into the pot, you add the chicken breasts and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook, allowing for a natural release.
- Shred the chicken, add the peas, and you are ready to serve this meal with some grated Parmesan cheese on top.
It’s important that you follow the timing instructions exactly.
Just a few minutes off one way or another when you are using an Instant Pot can destroy a recipe. And, be sure that you set a timer to keep track of how long it cooks.
You don’t want to over cook this recipe.
TIME SAVING TIP! A great short cut for shredding meats is to toss them into your stand mixer and run it on medium until it is perfectly shredded.
You can also place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and use a hand mixer to easily shred them.
This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is basically an entire meal in itself. It includes protein, starch, and vegetables.
We also have a copycat version of red beans and rice that is so easy to make.
But, if you want to offer an extra vegetable to stretch this meal, you can certainly do that. Here are a few you might want to try:
Frequently asked questions
Can you cook rice and meat at the same time in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can cook chicken and rice in Instant Pot. But, they may need to cook for a different amount of time.
In this recipe, they both cook for the same amount of time. So, you simply layer them in the order I mentioned in the recipe and they will both be done at the same time.
How to prevent rice from burning
It’s important that you add enough thin liquid to your Instant Pot.
If you have added a thicker liquid like sauce or gravy, this may not let your Instant Pot generate enough steam. If this happens, your rice may burn.
What to do if you get an Instant Pot burn warning
You need to add enough thin liquids like broth or water to your Instant Pot.
If you do get a burn warning when making Instant Pot Chicken and Rice, cancel the time left on the timer and use the quick release to release the steam.
Then, carefully open the Instant Pot and remove the inner pot. Check to be sure that all of the seals and parts are in proper working order.
Check your meal and stir it carefully. Remove anything that is overcooked or burned. Clean up the scorched food and put the food back into the clean pot.
Then, add more thin liquid. And, set the steam release. Finally, finish cooking per the original recipe.
How can I store leftovers?
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for three to five days. Or, you can freeze them for up to six months.
Just thaw them in the refrigerator. And, reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice + Video
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, canola or vegetable will work as well
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice, rinsed well
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish if desired
- Parmesan cheese, optional for serving
- Set instant pot to saute on high. Add butter, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, onion and carrots.
- Saute the vegetables until soft and golden, stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and oregano, stir and cook about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add salt and pepper to chicken, set aside
- Add rice and mushrooms to the pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot covering rice and vegetables, add more broth if needed.
- Pour chicken broth into pot covering rice and vegetables, add more broth if needed
- Place chicken breasts on top of rice mixture and sprinkle them with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Cover and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When done, allow the instant pot to naturally release pressure.
- Remove lid, remove chicken and shred into bite-size pieces.
- Stir in the parsley, peas, and the shredded chicken.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese to be sprinkled on top.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2020
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.