Our Brownie Cupcakes are a true Valentine’s treat, with strawberry buttercream and chocolate dipped strawberries. It’s an easy brownie cupcake recipe!
This easy cupcake recipe combines one of the most popular Valentine desserts, chocolate dipped strawberries, with an incredibly decadent strawberry frosted brownie.
Strawberry Brownie Cupcakes
The chocolate covered strawberries are placed on top, but not until the brownie cupcakes are covered with a light and fluffy strawberry buttercream frosting.
This Valentine’s Day dessert recipe makes a gorgeous show stopper! It has a fantastic combination of textures and flavors. The dense, chewy brownies combined with a super light and airy frosting tastes heavenly!
We think the fresh fruit adds a nice tanginess that balances perfectly against the rich cocoa flavor too. Honestly, you will love this brownie cupcake recipe. Or try these Biscoff Filled Cookie Butter Cupcakes. We also have 14 Fabulous Cocktails for Valentine’s Day!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Ingredients should be at room temperature, including the eggs. It makes it easier to combine the ingredients, and it helps create more height in the brownie cupcakes.
- Don’t skip the salt, it enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Use high-quality cocoa powder and high-quality chocolate. You can use regular unsweetened cocoa or Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa. You can also use milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate, whichever you like best. I used semi-sweet chocolate for this brownie cupcakes recipe.
- Strawberries– For the strawberry buttercream frosting, I am a HUGE fan of using freeze-dried strawberries. Since they are dried, you can grind them into a powder and they won’t add extra moisture to the frosting. Also, they add the most beautiful, natural pink color. The frosting will taste like it’s made with fresh strawberries.If you can’t find freeze-dried strawberries, you can use strawberry puree or strawberry jam. I prefer jam, as it’s easier to work with. However, you’ll need to use extra powdered sugar to create a thicker, creamy consistency in the frosting.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Brownie Cupcake Recipe Notes
- These are not fluffy cupcakes.
The consistency of the cupcakes is not cakey like you might expect with traditional chocolate cupcakes. They are more like a dense brownie, which makes them rich and indulgent. In the world of chocolate desserts, our strawberry brownie cupcakes are a decadent Valentine’s Day dessert!
For a moist, cakey texture, add 1/3 cup of oil OR 1 extra egg to the wet ingredients.
- Be careful not to overbake the cupcakes.Each oven is different but checking at the 15-minute mark is key to see how much more they need to be kept in the oven. Keep in mind that the last few minutes of baking time is crucial, so if the cupcakes aren’t quite finished baking, check back every two minutes.
To check the doneness of the brownie cupcakes, insert a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out dry, or with a few moist crumbs, they are finished baking.
Brownie Cupcakes FAQ
How do you keep brownies from sticking to cupcake liners?
Use high quality paper cupcake liners and baking pans to get the best results. In addition, spraying the liners with nonstick cooking spray or brushing with a little melted butter will help keep brownies from sticking.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Strawberry Desserts
Strawberry Brownie Cupcakes + Video
- 12-cup muffin pan
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or grated
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups freeze-dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven.Line a regular 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Add butter and chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30-second increments, stirring between each increment. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, either using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar to combine. Add vanilla extract and sour cream, and whisk on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture, about ¼ cup at a time. Only mix until the flour is just combined, then turn off the mixer to avoid overmixing.The batter should be thick and shiny.
- Fill 12 cupcake liners ⅔ of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes; (some ovens may take 20 minutes). At the 15-minute mark, check the cupcakes for doneness. The center of the cupcake should spring back up when gently pressed.
Make the Frosting
- Add freeze dried strawberries to a food processor and pulse into a powder.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and shortening . Starting on low speed, then gradually increasing the speed to medium-high, cream butter and shortening until fluffy and pale yellow in color.
- Turn the mixer off and add in strawberry powder; beat on medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Turn mixer on to the lowest speed. 1 cup at a time, add in confectioners sugar to incorporate. Once incorporated, mix on high speed for 1-2 minutes.If the mixture is too thick add 1 tablespoon of whole milk at a time. If the mixture is too runny, add more confectioners sugar, ½ cup at a time. The frosting should be soft and creamy and hold its shape.
- Using either an offset spatula or a piping bag fitted with a tip of your choice, frost the cupcakes.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Place 7 ounces chocolate in a microwaveable bowl. Melt chocolate in 30-second increments, stirring between each increment, until fully melted.Stir in light corn syrup.
- Dip each strawberry into the cooled chocolate and place on top of each frosted cupcake.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2018, updated and republished January 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.