This Lemon Chicken recipe combines tender, juicy meat with a silky butter sauce and fresh citrus. Make baked chicken breast with lemon for dinner tonight in just 30 minutes!
Meals can feel overwhelming on busy weeknights, but there’s no need to panic!
This lemon chicken recipe can be prepped in just a few minutes, leaving you plenty of time to make your sides while the meat is in the oven.
Plus, it uses a handful of basic pantry staples — meaning you probably have everything you need on hand!
If you love this lemon roasted chicken but want to skip the oven, I have a few skillet recipes for you to try.
How to Make Baked Chicken Breast with Lemon
Making this scrumptious lemon chicken dinner couldn’t be more simple!
All you need are a few boneless breasts seasoned with salt and pepper, plus some garlic and an easy lemon butter sauce.
- Brown the meat. Season the breasts with salt and pepper and sear for a few minutes on each side. Then, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Make the butter sauce. Whisk together the melted butter, water, and freshly squeezed citrus juice.
- Bake. Transfer the poultry to a baking dish, then pour the sauce evenly over the top.
Cover with lemon slices and bake until the meat is cooked all the way through.
Pair baked lemon chicken with my chicken flavored rice and a side of veggies. Need something easier? Toss together some greens for a simple salad instead.
You could even whip up a pasta salad in the morning so all you have to do is pull it out of the fridge before serving!
Lemon Chicken Recipe FAQ
Aside from adding loads of fresh flavor, the citrus actually tenderizes the meat!You have to be careful using lemon in poultry marinades, but that’s not an issue in my recipe for baked chicken breast with lemon.Instead, citrus juice is used in the butter sauce that coats the lemon chicken. I also like to add a few slices on top for presentation.
Yes, and it’s an easy way to avoid washing extra dishes! Chicken baked in cast iron skillet also retains every tiny bit of flavor, which can sometimes be lost when transferring the meat to a separate baking dish.
The easiest method is by using a digital meat thermometer. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the breast to check the temp.Chicken is considered safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F. Once you get a reading of at least 162°F, it’s okay to remove it from the oven, because the meat will continue to cook as it rests.You can also slice into the baked lemon chicken breast if you don’t have a thermometer. The center should be white and opaque, and the juices should run clear. If either is noticeably pink, pop the lemon chicken back in the oven for a few more minutes before checking again.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Chicken Recipes
Totally Tasty Lemon Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium lemons, 1 juiced, 1 sliced
- fresh parsley, if desired
- Season both sides of chicken breast with salt & pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for a 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned.
- Add minced garlic. Cook for another minute, or until the garlic is aromatic.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, water and the juice of 1 lemon. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken breast. Top with lemon slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. (I covered mine with foil while cooking, to keep it moist).
- Remove and garnish with fresh parsley.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2021, updated and republished August 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.