If you love Cosmic Brownies, you’re going to go crazy for my Brownie Mix Cookies!! Made with brownie mix and topped with homemade chocolate frosting and colorful sprinkles, cosmic brownie cookies are delicious and totally easy to make! Using boxed brownie mix will save you so much time and effort without giving up any flavor!
Brownie Mix Cookies
Longtime readers of the blog know just how much I love cookies. They’re my go-to for an easy dessert and I like having them on hand for Chad and Munchkin.
I also always have some sort of cookie swap/bake sale/get-together on the calendar.
I’m kind of obsessed with having an arsenal of recipes on hand so I never run out of ideas!
And so this brownie mix cookies recipe was born. I don’t know about you guys, but I have always loved Cosmic Brownies from the supermarket.
I got the bright idea to turn them into cookies… and I think I found yet another obsession!!
This cosmic brownie cookies recipe starts with brownie mix, which means it’s incredibly easy to make.
Chewy and fudgy cookies are decorated with homemade frosting and those sprinkles you all know and love!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Brownie Mix – I love Pillsbury brownie mix myself, but you can use your preferred brand.
- Cocoa Powder – I dress up the brownie mix with a few yummy extras, including cocoa powder. The results?
A rich, fudgy, and oh-so-chocolatey batter that you’ll want to eat straight from the mixing bowl.
- Powdered Sugar – For that homemade frosting! I prefer powdered over granulated sugar as it mixes up a lot better.
- Chocolate Syrup – Use a bottle from the store or my homemade version — up to you!
- Vanilla – You’ll need it for the cookie batter and for the chocolate frosting.
- Multi-Colored Sprinkles – A Cosmic Brownie cookies recipe would not be complete without rainbow sprinkles!
You can use the same kind you add to ice cream, or opt for the rainbow chip sprinkles that are found on original Cosmic Brownies.
Tips for Making Cosmic Brownie Cookies
- Use the right tools.
You may be tempted to use a large spoon to portion out your Cosmic Brownie cookies, but I can’t say enough good things about using a cookie scoop!
It’s the ultimate hack for evenly sized chocolate frosted cookies.
- Don’t overmix!
Baking is a science, so you need to make sure to complete every step with care.
Overmixing will result in a very dense and possibly dry treat. Make sure that everything is combined, but don’t overdo it.
- Be patient.
I know you’ll be tempted to frost these brownie mix cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. But, you need to wait for about 10 minutes before you do.
Pull your cookies out of the oven when the edges are set but the center is still soft.
Leaving them on the baking sheet ensures that they finish baking without becoming hard!
Storing Chocolate Frosted Cookies
Once your treats are completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container on the countertop or in the fridge. They will keep for up to 1 week.
I suggest adding a piece of parchment paper in between each layer of cookies to keep the frosting and sprinkles relatively intact.
Kitchen Tools You Will Need
- Baking Sheets lined with parchment paper – Used for anything from cookies to roasting, a good baking pan will last for years.
- Mixing Bowls – I like to have a variety of sizes on hand, and this set has them all.
- Electric Hand Mixer – I’ve had this one in my kitchen forever and it still works beautifully.
- Cookie Scoops – Great for meatballs, cookies, ice cream, and portioning out leftovers. I’ve had this set for years and use them all the time.
Cosmic Brownie Cookies Recipe FAQ
Cosmic Brownies typically refer to Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies. They’re known for their colorful candy-coated sprinkles over a layer of frosting, and I’m willing to bet you’ve eaten one at some point in your life!
Regular brownies don’t usually feature frosting or sprinkles and can be store-bought or homemade.
Absolutely! I love the idea of making this cosmic brownies cookie recipe holiday-themed. Use red and white for Christmas, or red white and blue for the Fourth of July.
Or, make them for a special someone’s birthday and use their favorite colors. There are so many possibilities!
The key is to take them out of the oven as soon as the edges get crispy. Remember that your cosmic brownie cookies will continue to bake as they sit on the baking sheets.
Undercooking them ever so slightly will pretty much guarantee fudgy results!
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Amazing Cookie Recipes
Cosmic Brownie Cookies (Brownie Mix Cookies)
- 1 box of dark chocolate brownie mix, I used Pillsbury 18.4 ounce box
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup water + extra if needed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup multi colored sprinkles
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium or large bowl, combine the brownie mix and cocoa powder.
- Stir in the eggs, melted butter, chocolate syrup, and vanilla extract until mixed well – but don’t over mix.
- Use a two tablespoon cookie scoop and create heaping cookie dough balls and place them at least 2” apart on the baking sheet – do NOT press down or flatten.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges are set. The center may still be a little soft.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
- While one batch cools, bake the other 1-2 batches depending on the size of the baking sheet.
- After the cookies are cooled, whisk together the frosting by combining the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add the water and mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla until smooth.
- Spoon the frosting on top of each cookie and then sprinkle with the multi-colored sprinkles.
- Let the frosting cool completely before storing.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published October 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.