My Italian sausage soup is delicious and filling – just what you need after a long day. Make this easy one pot recipe for dinner tonight!
This simple recipe features flavorful links, tender pasta, tomatoes, beans, and more for a stick-to-your-ribs alternative to chicken noodle or minestrone soups. Or this amazing Italian lentil soup that is perfect for a cold day!
Plus, it’s easy to throw together at the last minute and you won’t have a pile of dishes to clean! We also have a Lipton onion soup mix to make and keep in your pantry.
Or, swap the links for homemade meatballs and veggies in a rich, tomato broth for another easy one pot meal. It’s also ready in 30 minutes and is just as hearty and delicious.
Italian Sausage Soup – Ingredient Notes
- Meat – Swap the mild blend for a spicy one to add a little extra heat, or replace it with whatever meat you prefer. Be sure to add extra seasoning while it’s browning – I would recommend about a tablespoon of Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon each of garlic and onion powder, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Pasta – I love this with orecchiette or small shells, but you could easily use ditalini or elbows. To make it even heartier, swap the noodles for cheese tortellini.
- Tomatoes – Use fire-roasted instead of regular crushed or diced tomatoes so this tastes like it’s been simmering all day long!
- Veggies – Carrots and celery help create a flavorful base and blend seamlessly into this dish. You could also toss in some onion, zucchini, and bell pepper or wilt in some spinach just before serving.
- Garnish – Fresh basil rounds out the flavors in this sausage soup recipe, and freshly grated Parmesan makes everything taste better!
While this Italian sausage soup is more than enough on its own, it pairs well with a simple salad or my artisan-style garlic skillet bread!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I cook this sausage soup recipe in a crockpot instead?
Because the noodles cook in the liquid, I wouldn’t recommend it.
I do have a slow cooker Italian soup with sausage that has similar flavors and plenty of veggies. If you’re really craving pasta, prepare some on the stove and stir it in just before serving.
Can I freeze Italian sausage soup?
Yes! If you’ll be freezing the whole batch, I would recommend slightly undercooking the pasta so it doesn’t become too soft when thawed and reheated.
Transfer to airtight jars or containers once cooled and leave some space at the top for the liquid to expand. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
MORE ONE POT MEAL RECIPES
Hearty Italian Sausage Soup + Video
- 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage, or pork
- 3 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups chicken broth, or 8 cups water and 4 tablespoons chicken bouillion
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, (white beans), rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound dried orecchiette pasta, or shells
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, rough chopped
- Heat a 12 quart pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and sausage. Peel and chop carrots, add to pot. Wash and chop celery. Cook sausage until browned on each side and stir vegetables. Once sausage is browned on each side remove from pot and add all remaining ingredients except pasta and basil. Bring soup to a boil.
- Meanwhile slice sausage into coins and add to soup. Once soup comes to a boil add pasta and basil. Cook until pasta is cooked through stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2013, updated and republished September 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.