Homemade Lipton onion soup mix is easy to make and has so many uses! Keep a jar of this inexpensive blend in your fridge for up to 1 month.
Create a flavorful dry onion soup mix with simple spices and seasonings that you probably already have in your pantry.
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Not only is my homemade version of Lipton™ onion soup mix lower in sodium, but it’s also free of added preservatives and caramel color.
In fact, I have dozens of copycat recipes to choose from! Whether it’s seasonings and sauces or homemade versions of your favorite restaurant meals, there’s something for everyone.
Once you get in the habit of making your own spice blends at home, you’ll never go back to store bought again. It only takes a minute or two, the flavors are so much more intense, and you will save some money in the process as well!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Make a larger batch. Easily double or triple the recipe if you find yourself going through each jar quickly.
- Don’t forget the soy sauce! Sprinkling this over the seasonings may seem a bit unconventional, but it’s a small amount and doesn’t add much more moisture than the bouillon already has.
- Sugar substitute: I find that this helps balance the stronger flavors, but you can easily omit it or use your favorite artificial sweetener.
- Need a vegetarian version? Simply replace the beef bouillon with vegetable bouillon instead.
- Add celery seed. This spice isn’t as commonly used, but it really adds an authentic flavor. Include ⅛ teaspoon in this recipe and use the extra in rubs and salad dressings!
How To Use It
For a simple batch of soup, stir ¼ cup of the mixture into 4 cups of water in a saucepan. Simmer on the stove for 10 to 15 minutes until warmed through and thickened.
Otherwise, the most popular use is for party onion dip! Mix ¼ of the seasoning into 16-ounces of sour cream. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving – this allows the larger flakes to soften and gives time for the flavors to combine.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Lipton Onion Soup Mix FAQ
How much does this recipe make?
Each batch will yield 1 cup total, which is equivalent to 4 packets of Lipton onion soup mix. To replace one packet in a recipe, use ¼ cup of the homemade mixture.
Can I freeze dry onion soup mix?
This homemade blend can be stored in either the refrigerator or freezer for up to 1 month.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing!
Other Simple Soup Recipes
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1/2 cup dried onion flakes
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small dish or bowl. Sprinkle the soy sauce over the mixture and then stir well to combine.
- Store in a tightly sealed jar and keep refrigerated for up to a month.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published February 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.