Just recently I spent a week in Florida with my family. I sure did a lot of cooking (cooking is an expression of love for me. I love to cook for my family, so every trip I take or every time they visit I find myself in the kitchen… a lot).
We focused on healthy dishes and my mom shared her recipe for lentil soup. Keep in mind, my moms recipes come in code. So, I took her ‘dash of this’ and ‘a little of that’ and translated it into a recipe. Then of course I put a little TSRI spin on it and came up with the most amazing lentil soup with fabulous Italian flair.
Italian Lentil Soup
The lentils, tomatoes and vegetable broth help to make this a hearty dish even with no meat. The red pepper flakes do not give this dish heat, just depth of flavor. I love it so much, I will be eating it for dinner all week. Enjoy!
With love from our kitchen table to yours! XO
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Other Easy Soup And Stew Recipes
Italian Lentil Soup
- 1 pound baby carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 10 tablespoons tomato paste, or a 6 ounce can
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- In a 12 quart stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and carrots, cook until garlic is aromatic (about 2 minutes). Add vegetable broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, lentils, red pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Add parsley, basil, rosemary and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.