Crockpot Salsa Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Crockpot Salsa Chicken recipe is so easy, it just about cooks itself! It’s a great option for nights when you don’t feel like spending hours over the stove. Plus, slow cooker salsa chicken has an easy clean up too!
Combine chicken with salsa in the crock pot for a simple, yet flavorful dish with a variety of serving options!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
This fantastically simple recipe combines chunks of tomato, onion, and chiles with incredibly juicy and tender meat.
Whether you use store bought or homemade salsa is up to you, but I guarantee this salsa chicken crockpot recipe will garner a spot in your “what’s-for-dinner?” arsenal.
For more “set it and forget it” family favorite dinners, prepare a large batch of sausage and ravioli or my simple creamy mac and cheese.
These dishes are equal parts tasty and easy!
Still have a craving for Mexican flavors? Try out these super fun taco stuffed meatballs! A great way to put a twist on your next Taco Tuesday.
Salsa Chicken Crockpot Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Short on salsa? Use a can of diced tomatoes with peppers, jalapenos, or green chiles. This recipe is super forgiving, so get creative!
- Add an extra kick. Stir in a couple tablespoons of your favorite Mexican seasoning to really make it pop.
- Make it creamy. Include a few tablespoons of cream cheese or stir in some sour cream after you shred the meat.
- Tip for easy shredding: Toss the meat in a stand mixer, then set it to Stir with the paddle attachment. It will be completely shredded in about a minute!
- Prefer dark meat? You can easily replace the breasts with boneless thighs instead.
Just be sure to use an equal amount by weight and know that they typically take a bit longer to cook.
This slow cooker salsa chicken is incredible when served on a flour or corn tortilla.
Toss some corn kernels or a can of drained and rinsed beans into the crockpot for extra filling!
You can also serve it over rice and veggies for a scrumptious rice bowl! If you’re looking for a healthier option, try a bed of lettuce for an easy salad.
Are you a nacho lover? This could be your new favorite way to prepare them.
Simply lay down a layer of tortilla chips, then your crock pot salsa chicken, and top with cheese, black olives, sour cream, and guacamole. YUM!
Crock Pot Salsa Chicken FAQ
Yes, as long as the poultry is thawed. For this chicken salsa crock pot recipe, boneless breasts will cook in 3-4 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low.
Once cooled, leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
You can also transfer the shredded poultry to a Ziploc freezer bag and store it in the freezer! Use within 3 months for a variety of meals, and a thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
No liquid necessary! As long as the meat is touching the bottom, your crockpot salsa chicken will cook perfectly.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Easy Crockpot Recipes
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces your favorite salsa
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour salsa over top.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Once cooked through, use 2 forks or meat claws to shred chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mine usually needs just a pinch.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2015, updated and republished January 2023
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.
Trying this tonight!!
Thank You So Much. As a mom of three I'm always looking for quick and delicious dinners.
I’ve made this on my own. Didn’t know about a recipe. I dry rub the chicken in taco seasoning. Either a reduced sodium packet or you can make your own. I pour the salsa over the top and after shredding I put Mexican shredded cheese, extra salsa, sour cream to make the best tacos ever. I also use the smaller soft tortillas. My favorite meal. Make your own Mexican rice to finish it off.
We’re glad to hear that you enjoy it as much as we do, Mia! You’re right – salsa chicken is scrumptious over rice, especially Mexican red rice!
TSRI Team member,