Crockpot salsa chicken combines chunks of tomato, onion, and chiles with incredibly juicy and tender meat. It’s so easy it just about cooks itself!
This fantastically simple recipe is a great option for a night where you don’t feel like spending hours over the stove. Plus, it’s an easy clean up too!
Whether you use store bought or homemade salsa is up to you, but I guarantee this chicken and salsa recipe will garner a spot in your “what’s-for-dinner?” arsenal.
Still have a craving for Mexican flavors? Try out these super fun taco stuffed meatballs! A great way to put a twist on your next Taco Tuesday.
Crockpot Salsa Chicken – Tips and Tricks
- Short on salsa? Use a can of diced tomatoes with peppers, jalapenos, or green chiles. This recipe is super forgiving, so get creative!
- Add an extra kick. Stir in a couple tablespoons of your favorite Mexican seasoning to really make it pop.
- Make it creamy. Include a few tablespoons of cream cheese or stir in some sour cream after you shred the meat.
- Tip for easy shredding: Toss the meat in a stand mixer, then set it to Stir with the paddle attachment. It will be completely shredded in about a minute!
- Prefer dark meat? You can easily replace the breasts with boneless thighs instead.
Just be sure to use an equal amount by weight and know that they typically take a bit longer to cook.
This slow cooker Mexican chicken is amazing served on a flour or corn tortilla. Toss some corn kernels or a can of drained and rinsed beans into the crockpot for extra filling!
You can also serve it over rice and veggies for a scrumptious rice bowl! If you’re looking for a healthier option, try a bed of lettuce for an easy salad.
Are you a nacho lover? This could be your new favorite way to prepare them.
Simply lay down a layer of tortilla chips, then your chicken and salsa, and top with cheese, black olives, sour cream, and guacamole. YUM!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, as long as they are thawed. For this recipe, boneless breasts will cook in 3-4 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low.
How do I store leftover slow cooker Mexican chicken?
Once cooled, leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
You can also transfer the shredded poultry to a Ziploc freezer bag and store it in the freezer! Use within 3 months for a variety of meals, and a thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Do I need to add liquid to my slow cooker to cook the chicken?
No liquid necessary! As long as the meat is touching the bottom, your crockpot salsa chicken will cook perfectly.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Easy Crockpot Recipes
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 ounces your favorite salsa
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour salsa over top.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Once cooked through, use 2 forks or meat claws to shred chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mine usually needs just a pinch.
- Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2015, updated and republished December 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.