Cheesy Tex Mex Taco Meatballs
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Tex Mex Taco Meatballs stuffed with cheese and taco flavors is a deliciously fun twist on a typical Taco Tuesday meal! This Tex Mex meatball recipe is a snap to make, and makes the perfect comfort food dinner or game day food. With loads of melted, ooey gooey Colby Jack cheese, you’ll have a hard time resisting a second helping!
Meatballs are great because they are simple to prepare, can be flavored in so many ways and are perfect for feeding a large crowd. These Taco Meatballs can be made ahead for a party or for easy meal prep!
Tex Mex Taco Meatballs
Not only does this meal have that wonderful taco flavor, but the Tex Mex meatballs have a hidden surprise. Ooey-gooey cheese just waiting to escape the meatball!!!
You can serve them over red rice with a side of refried beans. Or, take them to the next level by turning them into taco meatball sliders or meatball subs!
You do not have to spend hours in the kitchen to make fresh, homemade meals. Meatballs are a crowd favorite, and they freeze beautifully! So, you can make a scrumptious dinner or game day meal in minutes, and everyone will love them!
Are you a meatball fanatic like we are? Be sure to check out our other simple meatball recipes!
Tips for Making Stuffed Tex Mex Meatballs:
- Do not overmix the meat or you could end up with tough stuffed meatballs.
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to get a uniform shape.
- Be sure to fully seal the cheese within the Tex Mex meatballs or all of the cheese will ooze out while broiling.
- This recipe makes a mild flavored taco meatball. If you prefer extra taco flavor, double the amount of taco seasoning.
Freezing Taco Meatballs
To make extra meatballs to keep in the freezer, you can double or triple this recipe! After baking, transfer them to a rimmed baking sheet.
Pop the baking sheet of Tex Mex meatballs into the freezer for a couple of hours. Then transfer frozen meatballs to a Ziploc freezer bag or air tight container.
Frozen taco meatballs will keep for about 3 months.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Other Tex Mex and Mexican Dinner Ideas
Cheesy Tex Mex Taco Meatballs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 6 ounces Colby Jack cheese, cut into cubes
- Mix beef, bread crumbs, eggs, milk and taco seasoning until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Scoop out 4 tablespoons of beef mixture, flatten then place cheese cube into the center. Bring the edges together to form a ball. Ensure that the meatball is completely sealed.
- Transfer meatballs to a greased rimmed baking sheet.
- Freeze meatballs on baking sheet for 10-15 minutes to firm up.
- Raise oven rack to top and preheat broiler on high.
- Broil meatballs on high for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Some cheese may escape while broiling.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published September 2019.
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
They look Delicious.
For some of my family members who have an iron stomach, some diced up Hot peppers will have to be added to the meat mixture; some with a little heat and some not quite so hot.
Thanks 4 sharing the recipe. My family will love these.
You said to raise the oven rack to the top. Are you putting these in the oven or in the bottom where the broiler is.
Most ovens, nowadays, have the broiler in the oven.
These meatballs are incredible. Lots of flavor and the cheese!