The Best Ever Chicken Tortilla Soup is bursting with flavor and fully loaded with chunky tomatoes, peppers, chicken and smokey flavors. This recipe has very little prep work and it’s ready in 30 minutes! Seriously.
Living in Arizona for 15 years I have developed a deep love for southwestern flavors. When it comes to soup I don’t think there is a soup more suited to the southwest than Chicken Tortilla Soup. Classic ingredients of this Mexican inspired soup are some of my favorites.
Best Ever Chicken Tortilla Soup
For starters this recipe includes 3 types of corn. Kernel corn, hominy and corn tortilla strips on top. With a base like that you know it has to be good. Selected smokey spices and fresh chicken and jalapenos help create a fabulous base for the petite tomatoes, black beans and red bell peppers.
Even my 5 year old loves these same flavors. I was so tickled to sit down and share a bowl of our favorite homemade guacamole. After which time I thought what a great idea to top the soup with guacamole. Well, it is fabulous. Although Chad will take his without the guacamole.
Helpful Tips to make Best Ever Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Why New Mexico Chile Powder? It has a deep dark reddish brown color and features an earthy, sweet flavor and subtle, spicy heat. It is mildly hot and absolutely perfect in this sauce. It creates a truly authentic flavor! New Mexico Chili Powder can be found in the international aisle in the bulk bags or on Amazon. if you are afraid the heat will be too much you can use half New Mexico Chili Powder and 1/2 regular chili powder.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Soup Recipes
Best Ever Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 medium size jalapeños
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 30 ounces petite diced tomatoes, 2 15 ounce cans
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico chili powder
- juice of 1 lime
- Colby jack shredded cheese
- tortilla strips
- Warm a large 8 quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, add oil to warm pot. Add chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion and garlic. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, de-vein, de-seed and mince jalapenos. Add to pot and stir to combine. De-vein, de-seed and chop red bell pepper into bite size pieces. Add to pot and stir to combine. Add chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to release bit that have gotten stuck.
- Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and stir to combine. Increase temperature to high, bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Top with garnishes if desired. Serve and enjoy.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published October 2013
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.