Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats are a buttery, sweet and salty version of the classic crispy treat. You’ll love this no bake recipe!
Recipes like Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats
There’s something extra special and irresistible about soft, chewy marshmallow treats. When you make a batch for a party or potluck, don’t expect to have anything but an empty pan to take home!
Kids and adults of all ages love them.
If you’re a fan of caramel desserts, be sure to also make our recipe for no-fail caramel sauce. It’s the perfect topping on a slice of ice cream bread, or to drizzle over brownies or blondies.
Ingredient notes for caramel rice krispie treats
- Use unsalted butter– Although these are salted caramel crispy treats, it’s important to limit the amount of salt you add. Otherwise, the saltiness will overpower the sweetness. If all you have on hand is salted butter, use it, but omit the salt called for in this recipe.
- Marshmallows– Mini marshmallows melt much faster and easier than standard size marshmallows. If you use the larger ones, you may want to cut them in half for easier melting.
Need a gelatin-free marshmallow substitute? Dandies is a brand of vegan marshmallows, and not only do they taste like real marshmallows, but they melt perfectly too!
Tips for making this rice krispie treat recipe
- Use low heat. If you have trouble melting the marshmallow and butter mixture, the problem may be too much heat. When the temperature of the burner is too high, the marshmallows will melt, but then seize up and become rock hard. It’s okay though- there is a solution! Just turn down the heat to low and after a minute or two, the marshmallows will begin to soften and melt again.
- Need a smaller batch? To use an 8×8 or 9×9-inch pan, simply divide the recipe shown below in half.
- Preventing sticky fingers– Melted marshmallows are very sticky. To prevent them from sticking to your fingers, spray a silicone spatula with non-stick cooking spray to gently press the treats into an even layer. Or, have some fun making your salted caramel rice krispie treats. Instead of a spatula, butter your hands and use them instead!
FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why are my rice krispie treats hard?
A: Use a light hand. Caramel rice krispie treats are meant to be soft and airy. As you are spreading the mixture into the pan, avoid pressing it down too much. Otherwise, your krispie treats will become dense and rock hard.
Q: Do I need to refrigerate them?
A: No, you can store them at room temperature. However, when you first make the rice krispie treat recipe, it does take a while for the treats to set up. To speed up the process, you can refrigerate the pan of marshmallow treats for about an hour.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes
Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 20 ounces mini marshmallows, about 11 cups, divided
- 11 ounce bag caramel bits
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Spray a 9″x13″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Melt butter in a large ( 8 quart) pot over medium-low heat. Once butter is completely melted, add 7 cups of marshmallows and the caramel bits. Stir to combine. Stir occasionally until the marshmallows, and caramels melt completely.
- Once the mixture is smooth and combined, add the cereal and salt. Stir to combine. Add the remaining 4 cups marshmallows. Stir until combined.
- Scoop into your prepared baking dish. Gently press into your baking pan. The more you press them down, the denser they become. I love light and airy, ooey-gooey treats. So, press gently.
- Cut treats and serve. Enjoy!
I spray a silicone spatula with non-stick spray to gently press treats into an even layer, and it keeps the treats in the pan and not sticking to my spoon.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally Published January 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.