Our Rum and Coke recipe makes one of the most popular rail drinks ever! You can make this rum drink with simple ingredients in 5 minutes!
Rum and Coke Recipe
Also known as Cuba Libre, these rail drinks are the perfect combination of sweet, bubbly, and refreshing! In fact, a Rum and Coke is delicious enough to drink for a casual gathering, but fancy enough for a dinner party.
Your taste buds will be singing after the first sip and the best part is that it doesn’t require anything strange. Odds are, if you have a well-stocked bar you already have what you need.
If you love this rum and coke recipe, you are going to go crazy for my Jack’s Tennessee Sweet Tea. It’s amazing on a hot day!
How To Make Rum and Coke
You won’t find an easier rum drink to make than this one!
Fill your glasses with ice and add rum. Fill the glass the rest of the way with cola, add a lime wedge and start sipping!
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Feel free to go dark. I love to use light rum because it’s naturally sweeter and a little more subtle. However, feel free to swap it with dark aged rum or golden. Just pick something you already like.
- Adjust the ratio. While I prefer the flavor combination of double the cola and half the rum, you may want to go with equal portions of each. Play around with the flavors until it reaches your desired result.
- Give it a citrus twist. You could simply add the garnish and start drinking, OR you could add a squeeze of lime. The lime will soften the sweetness of the coke and give the mixed drink a little more acidity. For optimal flavor, squeeze the lime straight into the glass.
- Stick with good quality ingredients. It’s worth it to buy quality coke and rum. Using good quality ingredients will keep the sweetness and acidity ratios perfect, so the drink is more enjoyable.
- Add some more bubbly. For an extra fun flavor, swap half of the cola for sparkling wine or champagne. It’s going to give you a less sweet result with lots of bubbles. To prevent the drink from falling flat, skip adding lime juice and stick with lemon or orange slices.
Rum and Coke Recipe FAQ
Do I need to use Mexican Coke?
Mexican coke is made with real cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup like it is in the United States. It’s primarily up to you to decide what you like best. If you can’t find it in your local grocery store you can buy it online here.
Can I use different alcohol?
Yes, you can swap the rum for different liquor but keep in mind it won’t be a rum and coke any longer. Try out your favorite whisky, vodka, or tequila for a fun twist on flavors.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
MORE RUM COCKTAILS
Rum and Coke Recipe
- 2 ounces light rum
- 4 ounces coke
- lime, for garnish
- Pour rum into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with coke.
- Garnish with lime and serve.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.