This Oreo Mug Cake is a perfect way to enjoy a sweet treat every single day. Try this delicious single-serving Oreo cake in a mug today.
Who else is absolutely in love with Oreos? If you’ve just raised your hand, have you had a chance to try my Oreo Dump Cake recipe yet? If not, you definitely need to soon.
There is just something totally irresistible about those chocolate cookies with cream between them. I can almost taste my Oreo Cookies and Cream Trifle just thinking about it.
What is a mug cake?
If you’ve never heard of or made a mug cake, let me explain. Basically, it is a single serving cake that is cooked in a coffee mug in the microwave.
It’s intended to be eaten by one person. Although, there is no reason that you can’t share with someone if you really want to. Or, better yet, make them their own. We also have a chocolate chip version and a nutter butter that are both delicious!
Is this the TikTok Oreo mug cake?
No, this one is better. The viral video you see all over TikTok uses only two ingredients: Oreos and milk.
I think my version tastes 100% better than that. You will need a few more ingredients to make this Oreo mug cake recipe.
What do I need for this Oreo Mug Cake recipe?
The reason mug cakes are so popular is that they require no special equipment and very little clean-up time. All you basically need is a mug and a microwave.
But, here is the official equipment list.
- Microwave proof mug
Tips for the best mug cake
This Oreo dessert is super easy to make but here are a few tips to make sure that you have the best possible results when making it.
- Make sure that you use a microwave-safe mug. They aren’t all safe for microwaves so it’s important that you check. Otherwise, it may shatter.
- When first crumbling your 5 Oreos, I used a fork. It does not need to be super fine as the milk will help to break it down into more pieces.
- If you cook only for 60 seconds, some of the mixture wouldn’t be cooked on the bottom and it will taste more like a thick pudding.
- When you have your batter and you add some crumbled pieces of Oreo in the middle, you could add a whole one if you prefer. We tried both and having it in pieces instead of whole makes your Oreo mug cake more enjoyable as you find bits and pieces of Oreo surprises throughout the cake.
What’s the best type of mug for a mug cake?
Besides making sure it’s microwaveable, almost any mug will work. It will need to hold the batter and have a little bit of headspace for it to rise.
It really doesn’t rise much so a large coffee mug should work just fine. Aim for 10 to 12 ounces to be sure.
Can I use different cookies?
If you’d rather use a different flavor Oreo cookie, you can certainly do that. A mint chocolate Oreo cookie mug cake would be delicious.
Or, you might want to try the birthday cake flavor or even the red velvet cookies. There are so many different possibilities out there.
But, you could also use another type of cookie:
- Ginger Snaps
- Peanut butter
- Animal crackers
You will need to experiment to make sure that the batter is thick enough so that it turns into a cake when you cook it.
What should I top my Oreo mug cake with?
You can add any sort of topping that you might normally add to a cake. I’ve added whipped cream and crumbled Oreos to the top.
You might want to try a few of these on your Oreo cake:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Cream cheese frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate syrup
- Fresh sliced strawberries
More delicious dessert recipes
This Strawberry Dump Cake recipe is one of the easiest dessert recipes I have ever made. All you need are five simple ingredients and a few minutes of time. And, the end result is a delicious dessert that everyone will love.
Cherry dump cake is the easiest dessert recipe you’ll ever make! Just mix a few ingredients right in the pan for a delicious cake from scratch!
Blueberry dump cake is the easiest cake recipe you’ll ever make. It’s moist and delicious! Make this 4-ingredient recipe for dessert tonight!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Oreo Mug Cake + Video
- 6 Oreo cookies, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- whipped cream
- Crushed Oreo
- Put 5 Oreo cookies in your favorite microwave proof mug.
- With a fork crumble the cookies (they don’t need to be super fine but in pieces)
- Add milk and stir well. You will have a very liquidy mixture. It’s ok.
- Add sugar, flour, baking powder and cocoa powder
- Mix until all your ingredients are incorporated. It will look like a thin cake batter.
- Crumble in big pieces your last Oreo. Gently push the pieces into the batter
- Cook on high in the microwave for 90 seconds. The mug is going to be HOT, so be careful.
- Top it off with whipped cream and some crumbled Oreo, if desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.