Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken features tender boneless breasts smothered in a rich and velvety sauce. Make this tonight in less than an hour!
Say hello to your new favorite comfort food meal! This Instant Pot chicken and mushrooms recipe packs a ton of flavor and will surely be requested again and again.
Pressure cooker meals are some of my favorite ways to make dishes during a busy week. After a hectic day, there’s nothing better than tossing in all of my prepped ingredients and letting it do the rest!
If you’re a fan of mushrooms, you’ll especially love my Salisbury steak with homemade gravy!
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom – Tips and Tricks
- Brown it first. This will give the poultry a really beautiful color on the outside and help seal in all those delicious juices.
- Prefer dark meat? You can always substitute an equal weight of boneless thighs for the breasts. However, you may need to increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
- Deglaze! Add some stock or broth to the Instant Pot and get all the brown bits up before adding your meat.
This will ensure that nothing burns on the bottom during the pressure cooking portion.
- Make sure it’s cooked through. Use a thermometer to ensure that your meat is fully cooked. Or slice into one of the pieces – it’s done if the center is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
This deliciously creamy mushroom chicken recipe can be wonderfully paired with so many of your favorite side dishes!
Craving extra comfort? Spoon each serving over mashed potatoes or freshly cooked pasta instead!
RECIPE VIDEO ????
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Can I use different mushrooms?
Sure! I find that white button or baby bellas work best for Instant Pot chicken and mushrooms, but you can certainly try a different variety as well.
Baby bellas (also known as cremini) are simply young portobello mushrooms and typically have a firmer texture. They are also extra savory, so stick with the white buttons if you prefer a milder flavor.
Can I save leftover Instant Pot cream of mushroom chicken?
Allow the dish to cool to a room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers in a pan on the stove, adding a few splashes of broth as needed for moisture.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on
Other Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Chicken + Video
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Combine salt and pepper and sprinkle over the chicken breasts.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cooking in batches place chicken breasts in the Instant Pot and brown on both sides. Approximately 10 -12 minutes. Set browned chicken aside.
- Add the second tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the mushrooms, cooking for approximately 7 minutes until they are tender. Press cancel to turn off the saute function.
- Pour stock into the Instant Pot, and deglaze the bottom of the pan, getting up all of the browned bits. Add the garlic, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid in place and turn the valve to sealing. Set to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off press cancel and let the Instant Pot do a natural release for 5 minutes before turning the valve to venting to release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Make a slurry by combining the cornstarch and water and stirring until there are no lumps.
- Press saute and add the heavy cream, and dijon mustard. As the mixture heats slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry stirring constantly. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce and serve with white rice.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2019, updated and republished December 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.