Cheesy Hamburger Casserole is easy to make and perfect for busy weeknights. Combine pantry staples with meat, and spices for a filling meal! The entire family will gobble up this easy homemade hamburger helper!
It’s safe to say that even picky eaters will delight in the yummy and simple ingredients of this recipe. I make this one a lot – it’s a family favorite!
The macaroni noodles draw in the kids, while the meat mixture packs a punch of flavor. It’s the ultimate comfort food for all ages to enjoy.
Cheesy Hamburger Casserole
Easy dinners can still be full of flavor, and this one is no exception.
Get it prepped in a few simple steps or put it together the night before to pop in the oven when you get home.
For another easy ground beef casserole, try my Taco Lasagna! It’s made with layers of tortillas, beans, corn, and more with loads of south-of-the-border flavor.
Or an amazing mac and cheese casserole.
How To Make Cheeseburger Macaroni Casserole
This hamburger noodle casserole recipe really couldn’t be any easier to put together.
While you boil the pasta, brown the ground beef with onions on the stove before seasoning.
Combine the vegetables and soups in a large bowl, then stir in the drained pasta and meat until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish, top with shredded cheddar, and bake!
Hamburger Noodle Casserole Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
You can make this hamburger casserole with corn in so many different ways, depending on what you prefer or have on hand.
- Meat: Replace the ground beef with ground turkey or ground sausage. You could even use diced cooked leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the store.
- Veggies: Try adding bell peppers, zucchini, frozen vegetable medley, green beans, or peas.
- Pasta: You can substitute the elbow macaroni for any other type of short noodle. I would recommend fusilli, penne, rigatoni, farfalle, or egg noodles.
- Cheese: Freshly grated cheese will melt better, so skip the bagged shreds and do it yourself!
You can make this easy casserole recipe with sharp cheddar, cheddar cheese, Monterey jack, or any other type of cheese that you want.
Old Fashioned Hamburger Casserole Serving Suggestions
Hamburger Casserole With Corn FAQs
Absolutely! Just prepare everything for the old fashioned hamburger casserole the day before, assemble it in your baking dish, then cover and refrigerate.The next day, take it out about 20 minutes before you are ready to cook and place it on the countertop while you heat the oven.You could also bake the cheesy hamburger casserole straight from the refrigerator, but only if you use a foil pan and add additional cooking time. Otherwise, your baking dish might crack from the rapid shift in temperature.
No, we don’t recommend freezing cheeseburger macaroni casserole. The noodles will not hold up well and the texture will be off.
There is usually a protein, some vegetables, and a starch like rice or pasta.In this cheesy hamburger casserole, we have ground beef, tomatoes, corn, and elbow macaroni.
You can absolutely make changes to this hearty dish. You can make it just like the full printable recipe lists below or put a fun spin on this easy dinner idea.
Instead of adding meat, you can add the other basic ingredients and see what you think of the texture and taste. You can also swap out the beef mixture for ground chicken or ground turkey to cut down on excess fat and excess grease.
Once you let the casserole cool to room temperature and store it in the fridge (in an airtight container or covered with aluminum foil), you can easily reheat this hearty meal in an easy way.
Add a serving of the pasta casserole to a heat-safe bowl and pop it in the microwave. It won’t take much time to heat up, so pay attention and don’t overheat.
Once this great meal is warmed back up, you can enjoy or add new cheese so that the cheese melts fresh on top. You can also add a dollop of sour cream to mix in for extra moisture and a little bit of black pepper and chili powder for some extra heat.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Recipe Links
Cheesy Hamburger Casserole + Video
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 28 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 15 1/2 ounce can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 10 1/2 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 10 3/4 ounce can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste if desired
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9”x13” baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta as directed on the box. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown ground beef and chopped onions. Break up the meat and cook until no pink remains and onions are translucent. Stir in the garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat, drain grease, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir to combine the tomatoes, corn, mushroom soup, and cheddar soup. Stir in the drained ground beef and cooked pasta.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared 9”x13” baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and within the last 10-15 minutes, top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Continue to bake until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot, top with freshly chopped parsley, and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021, updated and republished January 2024
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.