Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Bacon wrapped meatloaf is tender, juicy, and bursting with bold flavors! Make this recipe tonight with fresh ingredients and pantry staples.
Cheese stuffed meatloaf wrapped in bacon and smothered in a delicious brown sugar ketchup glaze is the ultimate comfort food meal.
Plus, the combination of flavors tastes just like your favorite bacon double cheeseburger!
If you want rich, smoky flavor without adding bacon, try this smoked version instead. It’s crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside, and has plenty of heat from chopped chiles in adobo.
You can also make Mini Meatloaf Cups or Balsamic Glazed Meatloaf Meatballs for poppable bites that are perfect for party appetizers or a casual meal.
Both are ready in about 30 minutes and are freezer-friendly too.
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Use lean ground beef. Anything higher than 90% will work great. If you use a fattier ratio, reduce the amount of milk.
- Mix gently. Overworking the meat will cause it to become tough, so mix just until everything is combined. It also helps to beat the egg before adding it to the mixture.
- Want a smooth exterior? Run your hands under warm water or coat them with olive oil before smoothing the loaf the last time.
- Avoid thick-cut bacon. This takes longer to crisp up in the oven, so stick with regular slices without too much added flavor or seasoning.
- Feeding a crowd? You can easily make a larger bacon wrapped meatloaf, but it will take a bit longer to cook.
Whatever variety you choose, skip the prebagged shreds since those contain an additive that keeps the cheese from melting properly.
Mozzarella, Swiss, Monterey Jack, and Colby all have a milder flavor.
For something bolder, choose Gouda, Havarti, Muenster, or Pepper Jack.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
Do you ❤️ TSRI? Don’t miss another recipe!
Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by email to receive new recipes in your inbox!!
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
What should I serve with stuffed meatloaf?
The possibilities are endless! Serve it with potato salad and corn on the cob in the warmer months or stick with classic mashed potatoes in the winter.
For a lighter option, try a green salad or some steamed vegetables instead.
Should meat loaf be cooked covered or uncovered?
It really depends on the recipe. I typically cook this one uncovered, but if the bacon gets too crispy you can add some aluminum foil on top.
Why does my meat loaf fall apart?Make sure to use enough binding agents like eggs and breadcrumbs, because this is what helps the meat stick together.
Also, don’t overcook it! When ground meat is overdone, it becomes crumbly and won’t hold its shape when sliced.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Don’t miss a thing! Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram ❤ ❤ ❤
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to make this recipe!
Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf + Video
- 1 pound lean beef
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound bacon, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs and milk. Pouring milk directly over bread crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons ketchup, Worcestershire and steak seasoning. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, crack egg and beat it slightly. This helps prevent overworking the meat while combining, resulting in a tougher meatloaf. Add egg to large bowl with meat mixture. Combine well with hands, do not overwork the meat mixture.
- Gently press meatloaf into bowl and divide in half. Place first half into 7″x10” (or larger) baking dish and form into a flat meatloaf Gently press the center in to create a rim around the outside of the meatloaf. Add shredded cheese into the center of the meatloaf.
- Form remaining half of meatloaf in the bowl into a size similar to the meatloaf in the pan. Set op top and press the sides together to seal in the cheese. Form into a loaf shape about 1½ – 2” tall.
- You may notice cracks in the loaf. Run your hands under warm water and then across the meatloaf to smooth the cracks out. Set meatloaf aside.
- In a small bowl combine 4 tablespoons ketchup and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Mix well with a fork. Apply glaze evenly all over your meatloaf (except the bottom).
- Arrange bacon slices over the top of the meatloaf. Start by wrapping a piece of bacon across the front side and a second piece of bacon across the back side. Arrange remaining bacon over the top. Tuck the ends of the bacon under the meatloaf (this prevents curling).
- Place meatloaf in the oven and bake until bacon is crispy, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven. Allow to rest uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published April 2014, updated and republished February 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.
I'm doing the meatloaf tomorrow, sounds & looks amazing! Now I'm only making it for two people, how would you change the recipe & cook time for that?
Gosh, this looks good. Only problem is that I am on a Doctor ordered dairy free diet. Oh well !!!
OMGEEEEEE! !! I made this tonight with 4 cheese mashed taters and a side of veggies. ..Sooo Good!!! Mmmm…will definitely make again! It's as yummy as buffalo chicken meatloaf I found! 😉
Making this for Father's day tomorrow.
Our new favorite meatloaf recipe. So delicious!
We are so happy you enjoyed it Erin! Thank you!
Ever since I made it the first time, this is the only meatloaf my husband wants me to make.
That's great to hear Sarah!!! It is definitely one of my favorites!
Made this several times, and it is so delicus. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you! We are so happy you enjoyed it!
I'm definitely trying this soon thank you very much for posting
Thanks Kim! Let us know how it goes!
I made this tonight and let me tell you that I will never make meatloaf any other way! The family LOVED it! The sauce complimented the bacon so well along with all the juices that had soaked into the meat while cooking, it was fiya!
Thanks so much!!! We are so happy you enjoyed it!!!
Can this be done without the milk
The meat loaf was cooked through and tasty but the sides of the bacon didn’t cook. What did I do wrong? Also some of the cheese leaked out. The taste was fantastic though!
It's in the oven right now. I was distracted and forgot the glaze. I'm going to brush it on top of the bacon during the last 20 minutes. Cross your fingers.
I got some mince out the freezer to use for dinner tonight. Had no idea what i was making when asked. I said, not sure, patties, meatballs maybe even meatloaf. It was settled there and then…."oh good, you can make that yummy bacon stuffed cheese one"
His is an awesome recipe and tasty!!! Ive made it several timea over the years and love it.
Sounds delicious!! Low carb??
I add onion to the meat and mushrooms to the cheese. Amazing my family absolutely loves it!
wonder how it would turn out using slices of cheese; & how many slices I should use?