Air fryer tater tots are perfectly crispy, even better than cooking them in the oven! Make some as a quick side for dinner on busy weeknights.
Air fryer tater tots are so easy to make, plus they are healthier than other methods because they use less oil. With only a few minutes of prep time, they go from freezer to table in a total of 15 minutes with only a few minutes!
How To Make Air Fryer Tater Tots
All you have to do is preheat the appliance, spray lightly with oil, and add the potato bites!
Give the basket a shake about halfway through so they get crispy on all sides, then season with salt and pepper before serving.
If you are feeding a crowd, you will need to work in batches. Place your serving plate in the microwave and add each batch as you go so they warm. Don’t cover it with a lid or foil, though, since the steam will turn them soggy.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Don’t crowd the basket. When the tots are touching each other, they can become soggy in those areas. Keep them as separate as possible for maximum crispness.
- Make adjustments as needed. The amount of time needed will depend both on the size of your appliance and how many you are making. Start with lower times and check often until they are cooked as desired.
- Want them extra crispy? Cook in additional 2-3 minute increments until they are exactly how you like them.
- Spritz with extra oil if they look dry. All you should need is a light spray at the beginning, but feel free to add another coat after shaking the basket if they look like they need it.
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
Who makes the best frozen tater tots?
I love and recommend the brand Ore-Ida. The founders of this company (the Grigg family) are actually the ones who created this snack when trying to figure out what to do with leftover cut potatoes from their french fry factory.
For this recipe, I used their Golden Tater Tots, not the minis or Crispy Crowns. As a side benefit, these are also gluten free!
What are some good dipping sauces for air fryer tater tots?
There are certainly plenty to choose from, so get creative with your flavors or mix and match a few options!
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Air Fryer Tater Tots (frozen)
- 1 pound tater tots, 1/2 of a 32 ounce bag
- olive oil spray or avocado oil, spray without propellant
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spray the bottom of the air fryer basket. (If you don’t have a spray bottle, you can use a little bit of avocado or olive oil on a paper towel to coat the basket)
- In an even layer, spread the tater tots in the basket. Cook for 10minutes, stopping to gently shake the basket halfway (you don’t want to smash your tots). Cook for an additional 2 minutes. If you would like your tots extra crispy, add additional time in 2-3 minute increments until you reach the desired crispiness.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired. Transfer to a plate and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Sauces that are great with tater tots: ketchup, barbeque sauce, ranch, sriracha, sour cream with fresh chives, french onion dip, cheese sauce
- How do I make my tater tots crispy? In the air fryer, the tater tots come out nice and crispy. The longer you cook them, the crispier they become. I recommend to cook in additional 2-3 minute increments if you want your tots extra crispy.
- Don’t crowd your air fryer basket. When the tots are touching each other, they can become soggy in those areas. For maximum crisp, separate all of your tater tots.
- Who makes the best frozen tater tots? I love and recommend the brand Ore-Ida. The founders of Ore-Ida (The Grigg family) are actually the ones who invented and termed the name “tater tot” when trying to figure out what to do with leftover cut potatoes from their french fry factory. (Source ) The good news too is that their golden tater tots are gluten free!
- Why are tater tots great in the air fryer? They are healthier since they use less oil and are so easy to make! They are the perfect side or appetizer and are so fast to make at a total time of 15 minutes, with only a few minutes of prep time.
- What can I serve with tater tots? These can be made as a snack and served with sauce or served alongside a main dish. I recommend serving with classics like cheeseburgers and hot dogs.
- This was made in the Cosori air fryer, 5.8 quart. If you have a smaller or larger air fryer, you may need to adjust cooking times. Also, if you use more or less tater tots than recommended in the recipe, you will need to adjust cook times. Start with lower times and check often until they are cooked as desired.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published March 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.