An Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is sweet and refreshing, with just 3 simple ingredients. Make this no-bake dessert for a summertime celebration!
This concoction tastes like a more decadent version of an Oreo ice cream sandwich with layer upon layer of your favorite treats.
Put it together in a few easy steps, then pop it in your freezer – no oven required!
How To Make An Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Layer everything together and freeze until firm. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible since no one wants extra work (or dishes!) when it’s hot outside. That said, you can create a cookie crust instead of using whole Oreos as the base.
Increase the cookie count to 30 and crush them in a food processor with 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan, then continue with the recipe as directed.
Ingredients Notes and Substitutions
- Use mini sandwiches. I got the Hood brand ones that are 2×2 inches, and they fit in the pan perfectly. You could also use full sized ones and cut them in half if needed.
- Get creative with flavors! Feel free to try this recipe with different varieties of Oreos. You could even stir some flavor extract into the Cool Whip.
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- Thaw the Cool Whip. You’ll need it to be soft to spread over the layers, so transfer it to the refrigerator at least 6 hours before starting this recipe.
- Swap the cookies for candy. Instead of more Oreos on top, try chopped up Reeses or Andes mints. M&Ms or peanuts would be a great way to include some extra crunch to your ice cream sandwich cake.
- Don’t skip the parchment! Not only does it make cleanup easier, but you can lift the entire dessert out of the pan when it’s time to slice.
- Add a little drizzle. You can’t go wrong with chocolate syrup or my no-fail caramel sauce. For a fruity twist, try a homemade strawberry syrup instead!
Get Free Recipes Sent to Your Email
FAQ – Common Recipe Questions
How do I store leftover ice cream sandwich cake?
Wrap the dish tightly with aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 7 days.
What flavor combinations would be good for an Oreo ice cream sandwich cake?
Mint is the first one that comes to mind, and it would be extra refreshing on a hot day.
Swap the regular cookies for mint flavored ones, then add a drop or two of peppermint extract to the whipped topping.
Birthday Oreos pair well with colorful sprinkles, while the Golden variety complements fruit flavors without being overwhelming.
See what flavors of cookies and extracts are available when you go shopping, then decide how best to combine them.
With love from our simple kitchen to yours.
Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 20 Oreos, plus more for topping
- 8 ounce Cool Whip, thawed and divided
- 16 mini ice cream sandwiches
- chocolate syrup, optional topping
- Mini M&M’s, optional topping
- Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Line the bottom of the parchment with Oreos, breaking them in half to fill any gaps.
- Spread one 8oz. Container of thawed cool whip over the top of the Oreos.
- Layer the sandwiches on top of the cool whip.
- Spread the other container of thawed cool whip over the top of the sandwiches.
- Top with crushed Oreos and other candy if desired.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and sprinkles just before serving.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published July 2021
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.