My lemon crinkle cookies are deliciously soft, with a crisp outside and chewy center. Try out this lemony treat that can’t be beat!
This crinkle cookies recipe creates a soft cookie with a decadent lemon flavor that isn’t too overpowering. And the distinct, sweet almond extract enhances the flavor so well! Every bite takes you on a journey, from the crunch of the crust to the super soft center.
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
This cookie recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make, from prep to finish. And you walk away with 5 dozen lemon crinkle cookies to save or serve!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Make them as lemony as you’d like.
If you want a strong citrus flavor, increase the amount of zest or replace some of the extract with lemon juice. Be careful not to add too much juice, since the acid will affect the consistency of the dough.
- Flavor the sugar.
This is not a step you want to skip over!! By pinching the zest and granules together, you infuse the sugar with the natural citrus oils which helps the flavor really stand out.
- Adjust the almond extract.
Because this ingredient is very strong and sweet, you may find that you prefer less. Replacing half with vanilla extract would also work, if you prefer.
- Don’t need as many treats?
This recipe yields about 60 lemon crinkle cookies, so feel free to make a half batch instead.
- Save for later!
You can freeze this dough for up to three months. Wrap it tightly in plastic to prevent ice crystals, and wait to coat it in powdered sugar until just before baking.
Lemon Crinkle Cookies FAQ
What kind of lemons should I use for lemon cookies?
I love using Meyer lemons! Their bright yellow color looks great in sweets, and they’re sweeter than most others. Eureka is another great choice.
You also want to choose a fruit with a thick skin so that you get a lot of zest! Finally, try to go for the unwaxed and organic varieties for minimal bitterness and maximum flavor.
Love Our Recipes?
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian and receive new recipes straight to your inbox!!
How do I make perfect crinkle cookies?
Space your dough balls enough to give them room to expand. When they do, you’ll get those characteristic cracks in the powdered surface.
Why is my dough sticky?
You may have too many wet ingredients. Try adding flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the consistency is closer to normal cookie dough.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Lemon Desserts To Love
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- stand mixer OR
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 drops yellow gel food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven 350°F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or an electric mixer combine sugar and lemon zest with your fingertips (by pinching the two together) until sugar is thoroughly coated in lemon.
- Add butter, cream until light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add in almond extract and eggs. Mix until combined. Scrape sides down as needed. Add salt, powder, soda and flour. Mix until combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Scoop 1 tablespoon portions of dough and roll into a ball. Roll in powdered sugar until coated. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough. I made 12 per sheet, but you could easily fit 18.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte. Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Serve and enjoy!
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published August 2012, updated and republished March 2022
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting us, it helps us keep creating new recipes.