Homemade mozzarella sticks are easy to make and taste even better than frozen or takeout versions. Make these fried cheese sticks in 30 minutes! Don’t forget your favorite dipping sauce!
Gooey, stretchy cheese coated in crispy, seasoned breading is the ultimate comfort food snack. Dunk homemade cheese sticks in your favorite sauce, and you’re all set!
This easy recipe is made using literally sticks of string cheese – resulting in the perfect crunchy-creamy texture.
If you’re in the mood for a gooey mozzarella stick, forget about the frozen sticks from the grocery store and make your own.
It’s an easy appetizer and a great recipe to share with family and friends. The crispy coating with the melty cheese will have you hooked from the first bite.
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
All you need are cheese sticks, Italian breadcrumbs, and a handful of pantry staples to create the best mozzarella sticks right in your own kitchen.
Looking for more homemade versions of your favorite frozen appetizers? You can never go wrong with a big platter of buffalo wings!
Tips for Making the Best Mozzarella Sticks
- Load up on flavor. Italian herb breadcrumbs come already seasoned, but you can always add more!
Or, combine 1 tablespoon dried Italian season with 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs to make your own.
- Add some heat.A shake or two of dried red pepper flakes adds a kick to the breading.
- Watch the temperature. It’s crucial for the oil to be hot enough, or your fried Italian cheese sticks won’t get crispy and brown.
Also, allow the temperature to recover between batches so they cook evenly.
- Don’t forget to drain! Place a wire rack inside a baking sheet to catch oil drips as your homemade mozzarella sticks cool.
Or, lay the sticks in a single layer on a large plate lined with a paper towel.
- Feeding a crowd? Double or triple the recipe as needed, working in batches until all of them are fried.
You can keep earlier batches warm in a low temp oven or serve them up as you go.
Fried Cheese Sticks FAQ
You bet! Just be sure to slice each piece with equal length and thickness — this ensures they will cook evenly and all the way through.
Aim for about 1/2-inch thick and a few inches in length.
You’ll want to use separate hands while dredging to keep the ingredients on the cheese and off of your fingers!
Use one hand for dipping homemade cheese sticks in the flour and breadcrumb mixtures and the other for the egg wash. Then, work on one cheese stick at a time from start to finish.
Yes! Air fryer mozzarella sticks are delicious – and are a healthier alternative to fried mozzarella sticks. You’ll want to be sure that you cook them all the way to golden brown so that the mozzarella cheese sticks in the middle of the flour mixture get hot and cooked.
Be sure that you give them space to fully cook in the air fryer basket – and don’t overcrowd.
The best part about making your own homemade mozzarella sticks is that you can add ingredients for different or better flavor to the coating.
You can also use panko bread crumbs for the coating as well.
Adding onion powder, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, any panko mixture, garlic salt, parmesan cheese, and black pepper are some of the most common spices that you can add to the coating.
The coated cheese sticks can be dipped in marinara sauce, ranch dressing, pizza sauce, salsa, or eaten plain. The flavor of these deep fried cheese sticks is so good that you honestly don’t even have to use a dip if you don’t want to!
Yes! These will keep for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven at 375°F for about 5 minutes or until crispy.
You could also freeze Italian cheese sticks once they are cooked for future snacking! Once cooled, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for about an hour. Transfer to a zip top freezer bag and store for 3 months.
When a craving hits, pop them in the air fryer for a few minutes, flipping them halfway through.
With love, from our simple kitchen to yours.
Other Easy Appetizer Recipes
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks Recipe (Breaded Cheese)
- Oil for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks
- Add 2-3 inches of oil to a deep-frying pan or pot and heat it over medium heat or until it reaches 265 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the meantime, add the flour to a shallow bowl then add the salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water together.
- Finally, in a separate shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
- Dredge the cheese sticks one at a time in the flour then dip them in the egg mixture then coat them in the breadcrumbs and set them on a plate or cooling rack.
- Once the oil is ready, fry each of the cheese sticks in the oil for 2-3 minutes or until light and golden. Only add 3-4 cheese sticks at a time to not overcrowd the pan.
- Let them cool on a cooling rack or a plate fitted with a paper towel then serve with marinara sauce.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe’s nutritional value will vary depending on the ingredients used, measuring methods, and portion sizes.
Originally published December 2021, updated and republished February 2024
Disclosure: Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link your price will remain the same and The Slow Roasted Italian will automatically receive a small commission. Thank you for your support; it allows us to keep creating new recipes.